j's lullaby

"Darlin', I'd wait for you even if you didn't ask me to."

- Delaney Bailey (j's lullaby, 2022)

__________

Lizzie's POV

I tap my foot, waiting for the popcorn to get done. It's been three weeks since we got back from Italy, and everything's been good ever since. I jumped a little when I felt Y/N's arms encasing around my waist as she planted a few soft kisses all over my face. My heart smiled at the contact, and it feels as though I'm on cloud nine.

"Are you almost done here? I miss you already."

"Just one more minute, darling." I spun around to face her. "I don't know how I feel about you leaving tomorrow." I pouted as I ran my fingers through her soft hair.

"I know, baby, but I'll only be gone for a week." She caressed my face. "I'll be back before you know it."

I nodded with a smile before I pulled her in for a kiss. I'd never get tired of kissing her, and how heartstopping it feels every second.

"As much as I would like to continue, we should probably head back." Y/N groans as the beeping sound of the microwave indicates the popcorn is done. "Maya's probably looking for us."

I rolled my eyes as I grabbed the biggest bowl I could find. I let the bag air out before pouring all of its content out. Y/N offered to help by carrying some of the snacks back to the living room.

"Finally, you guys are back with the snacks." Maya acknowledged as she grabbed a handful of popcorn and popped it into her mouth. "I couldn't wait any longer, so I kept the movie playing."

"Traitor." Y/N huffed, plopping in between us. "What'd I miss?"

"Well, uh, they tried tricking the guy into leaving the airport, but he.." Her voice echoed as I admired the two being so into the movie.

I couldn't make out what they're saying anymore so that I could understand the movie. A picture perfect moment that made my heart feel content and at peace. If I could, I would stop this moment. Right here, right now. I didn't want it to end. It nearly brought me to tears because I'm looking at the two most important people in my life. There's nowhere I rather be than by their side.

Toward the end of the night, after Y/N had tucked in Maya for bed, we laid a blanket in my backyard to watch the stars. It's rare to find so much in LA because the air is highly polluted, but tonight was different. I'm glad that it is considering that we won't be watching the stars for a while. It may only be a week but being so far apart from someone you love, a week could feel a lifetime.

"Are you ever going to tell me what you and my mom talked about at the restaurant?"

I looked up at her with a smile on my face, "Nope. It's a secret. You'll find out soon. Just hurry back from your NYC trip and come back to me safely."

She kissed my lips, making my heart blush, "I will. I promise."

We spent the rest of night looking up at the stars, and knowing that we'll always be there for each other. No matter what happens from here on out.