Cherry

"Don't you call him what you used to call me."

- Harry Styles (Cherry, 2019)

________

Y/N's POV

I would never get used to sleeping on this damn couch. No matter how much I toss and turn in an attempt to find a comfortable spot, I could never. Most nights, I would wake up with an annoying pain on my lower back, which would lead to an endless amount of discomfort. Needless to say, these past fifteen months have been nothing but uncomfortable. But, the only reason why I put up with it for so long was because I wanted to stay by her side through it all. I would go through fifteen more for her.

I was sleeping soundly until I heard laughter coming from the door. I slowly stirred into consciousness, the seemingly aggressive bright light from the room hurting my eyes. So, it took a moment until I could fully open them. And when I did, the first thing I saw was Robbie wheeling Lizzie inside back to her room as they conversed about something that made her laugh.

I situated myself into a seated position, already feeling out of place. Robbie looked at me apologetically before helping Lizzie back to bed. I ran my hand through my hair, fidgeting in place because suddenly the air was too thick for me to handle.

"I'm sorry if I woke you up." Lizzie mumbled, finally making eye contact with me.

I smiled gently, "That's okay. Are you hungry? I could get you something to—"

"Oh, no, that won't be necessary." She said, "Robbie and I already ate." I watched as she fluttered her eyes at him, making my heart ache. "But, you're more than welcome to leave to grab something to eat. You don't have to stay here the entire time."

It was like I didn't exist, she continued her conversation with Robbie, completely undermining my presence. I stood in the corner of the room, feeling out of place. A sudden sting-like pain in my chest appeared, and all I could do was feel it all out. I was hoping that she would give me a second look, including me in whatever conversation they're having, but she didn't. Like I've said before, it's like I don't exist.

My phone buzzed nonstop inside of my pocket. But, before I could leave, I stopped on my tracks, hoping somehow she would ask me to stay because I would. I gazed at her with all of me, waiting for our eyes to connect, but it shines for someone else. And it's not me. I took that as a cue, and left her room before answering Athena's call.

Y/N- Hey

A- Are you on your way?

I took a long pause, not knowing what she's talking about.

A- Y/N? Are you there? Hello?

Y/N- I'm sorry. I'm having a rough morning. What is it that we have going on today?

A- We have a meeting with one of the investors today and a band session right after. I take that you're not coming?

Y/N- I could still make it, I can leave the hospital right now and—

A- Stop. It's okay. Miles, Ronnie, and I have it under control. You're obviously needed there more than here.

Y/N- I don't know about that