Happier Than Ever

"You ruined everything good. Always said you were misunderstood."

- Billie Eilish (Happier Than Ever, 2021)

——————

Y/N's POV

When I fluttered my eyes open, the first thing my eyes set upon was MK's sleeping body right next to me. I didn't realize that we ended up falling asleep on the couch after our heartfelt talk. The way her head comfortably rests against my chest, I almost didn't want to move. I don't think I would want to disturb her peace. She was out of it last night when she told me the amount of emotional trauma her ex-fiancé caused her.

We didn't mind being vulnerable toward each other. She vented, and I did the same. There was no judgement between us. We simply listened to each other's problems, and offered as much solace as we possibly could for each other. She's the light at the end of the tunnel.

As much as I wanted to stay, I carefully moved away from her warm embrace. I made my way to the kitchen, where I began to make breakfast. It's not much, but it's the least I could do after everything. She was there when I needed her. So, I made sure everything was perfect. Fortunately, she didn't wake up despite the noise in the kitchen.

When everything was done, I set the table for the both of us, nitpicking at how everything looks. I want everything to look perfect, so when she wakes up, it'll bring a smile to her face. She deserves to be happy. Especially after last night.

"Good morning." MK says out of nowhere, making me jump. "Someone's jumpy."

"You kind of came out of nowhere." I chuckled nervously. "But, I hope you're hungry because I made you some food."

"Y/N, you didn't have to."

"I know, but I wanted to."

"Well, thank you. This is really nice." She smiled as she took a seat. "Oh my god, and you made me hot chocolate too? You're seriously the best."

I never knew how to take a compliment, so I was blushing like an idiot. My grin was so wide, my jaw started to hurt at one point. But, underneath the little embarrassment I seem to be portraying in this very moment, it warms my heart to see her enjoying the food that I made. It makes me happy when my effort pays off.

"Thank you." MK spoke softly.

"It's not a problem. I'm glad that you enjoyed breakfast."

"I'm not talking about this, but yes, I did enjoy it." She smiled warmly. "But, I was talking about last night. Thank you for listening to all my problems. I know it was a lot, and I—"

"It isn't." I interjected. "You're going through something, and I'm glad that you felt comfortable enough to tell me."

"You're the only person I could talk to about this." MK mumbled under her breath, almost like she's ashamed of not having anyone to talk to. "Yes, I know I have my family to always fall to when things get tough, but I don't think any of them truly knows of the pain of holding on to someone that does more damage than good."

There was a moment of silence between us. Suddenly, a few, quick flashes of my most painful moments with Lizzie came before my eyes. I love her. There's no doubt about it. And nothing has changed despite everything. But, I would be lying to myself if I didn't admit the fact that I've been hurt by her so many times for the same reason that it has taken a toll on me. My heart isn't the same anymore. After all the never-ending loop of heartbreak.