Lights Are On

"God stood me up."

- Tom Rosenthal (Lights Are On, 2018)

____________

Y/N's POV

A few more days have passed, and it has been nothing but pure bliss with Lizzie. For what felt like an eternity, I finally feel as though I'm someone important in her life. She's always looking for me and including me in all of her appointments, her child-like attachment to me is something I didn't ask for, but definitely needed. Suddenly, those days I've spent feeling like I don't matter, I don't think as much anymore.

During those days, we fell into a routine. She would wake up, the three of us, sometimes just us two because Maya has school, would eat breakfast at the cafeteria and or I would go get them whatever it is they wanted. Then, we would walk the dog together, spend at least an hour or two by the garden. By the end of the night, we would eat dinner and watch the stars.

Sometimes, I would sing to her. I have yet to sing her the songs I wrote, but maybe that's for another day. Maybe when she gets admitted out, which is the day after tomorrow. Ever since last week, I've spent all those days planning a surprise party for Lizzie at her house. With the help of Lizzie's family and friends, everything is shaping up. Just like how I planned them to be.

"Are you excited to finally be out of the hospital the day after tomorrow?" I asked as we walked along the pathway of the garden, Ollie walking ahead of us.

Lizzie and I decided to watch the sunrise together. Maya is still asleep, so she couldn't join us. But, I could've sworn I saw her eyes wide open just a few seconds before we left the room. Maybe I'm imagining things.

"Super." She sighed, taking a seat by the bench. "I miss the outside world if that makes sense."

"Yeah, I do." I sat with her. "Are you cold?"

Lizzie chuckled lightly, "A little, yeah."

I smiled before taking off my beanie and putting it on her head, making sure she's warm and toasty. When our eyes connected, I immediately got lost in those emerald eyes of hers. I want to kiss her so bad. More than anything. But, I'm afraid that's not what she wants.

I cleared my throat and pried my undivided attention off of her, "You look cute."

Lizzie made goofy faces, making me laugh, "Do I?"

"Too cute." I admired her goofiness.

We both looked at the view in front of us, the sun slowly ascending its way to its position. And when it was at its peak, the soft orange hues of the light touches her graciously. My soul glowed, and every cell in my body felt connected to her, and only her. No one else. This is what it feels like staring at someone you love. You feel calm, and at peace with yourself. And I know at the bottom of my heart, I'm willing to do anything to keep her safe.

"Can I ask you something?" Lizzie said.

"Go ahead."

"Did it hurt getting all of the tattoo you have all over your body?"

"It really all depends on where you get it." I answered. "Obviously anywhere near the bone or on it, it will hurt like a bitch. But, anywhere far from it, you should be fine."