Iris

"You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be, and I don't want to go home right now."

- Go-Jo (Iris ~ Cover, 2020)

___________

Lizzie's POV

Receeding footsteps from outside of our room is what woke me up. What I thought was my imagination, a few seconds later turned out to be true. Maya burst through the door before jumping into the bed, in between the space of Y/N and I. Her little feet was scrambling excitedly, incapable of being still.

"Wake up, moms! Guess what today is."

I buried my face against the pillow as I groaned. Then, I took a quick glance at Y/N who was doing the same. We gave each other the look, waiting on the other to say something to the excited little kid in our bed.

Y/N caved in, "Of course, it's your birthday, little bear." A few seconds later, I directed my gaze toward them. "I would ask if you're excited, but you jumping in our bed answers that question."

She nodded, "I'm very much excited. I'm turning thirteen."

"You're growing up so fast." I chimed in. "You are officially a teen!"

"But, she'll always be our little bear, right, my love?" Y/N looks at me, her eyes sparkling in between, making my heart melt.

"Of course."

"Alright, now come here."

I watched as Y/N gently tackled Maya as she showered her body with tickles. The little one laughed uncontrollably as she tried escape, but couldn't. It was their innocent shared laughter that made my heart smile and glow at the same time. Y/N has always been great with kids, and watching her have such relationship with Maya made me think of our future together, and how she will treat our future kids. The thought alone was more than enough to bring me to tears.

"Are you coming?" Y/N asked as they both stood just a little outside the door. "Maya wants breakfast."

"I'll be right there."

"Okay." Her eyes smiled at mine. "Off to the kitchen we go!" Y/N carried Maya into her arms as they disappeared into the void of the hallway.

I took a moment to myself. I've always known how strong my emotions can be, but I didn't think a simple, but heartfelt moment was capable of bringing me to tears. Here I am, in front of my mirror, thinking of our future together, and what after today means for the both of us. Scenarios of how I'm going to get down on one knee to ask her ran through my head. I even went so much as practice the speech in my head, which I know I'll probably forget the moment I look up at her, and she's looking back at me. But, underneath the overthinking, I genuinely can't wait to finally start the rest of our lives together.

I made my way downstairs to join them. I tip toed my way to the kitchen, and found the two helping each other out with making pancakes. I stood, just a few feet from them, admiring the scene that stands before me. Maybe it's the importance of what today has in store for me, for us, but my tingling sensation in my heart as it glowed brought the tears of joy out of me.

"Are you just going to stand there gawking at us? Or are you going to help?" Y/N chuckled, making me jump.

I cleared my throat, and with a smile, I picked up another spatula and began flipping the pancakes. From there, we fell into a natural sync like a great we clearly are. At one point, Y/N even showed off, flipping the pan a couple of times, the pancakes smoothly landing on its other side. Maya was impressed and cheered on. I, on the other hand was too busy falling more madly in love with her as if my heart didn't already love her with all that I am.