Grow As We Go

"We'll take it slow, and grow as we go."

- Ben Platt (Grow As We Go, 2019)

_____________

Y/N's POV

I held her arm close to me as she insisted on walking to her physical therapy. Lizzie was the first to wake up between us. She couldn't contain her excitement and eagerness as she poke my arm like a little kid in an attempt to get me to wake up. I couldn't help but find her adorable, her sudden child-like attachment to me touching my heart, and making it glow.

"Will you stay with me?" Lizzie asked softly, her emerald eyes glimmering through the light.

"Always." I nodded with a smile before giving her away to one of the walk therapists.

I sat, observing from afar. The nurse, probably around his early thirties, gave her the usual inbrief of all the exercises she will be doing and how she'll execute it. Lizzie gave me a hopeful look, almost like she's making sure I'm watching. I beamed her a smile, making her scrunch her nose before indulging herself into her therapy.

Every once in a while, every time she would walk from point a to point b without wobbling, or any exercise for that matter, she would look my way and she would burst into excitement, ecstatic that I'm watching and I'm proud of her. By the end of it, the specialist gave her the big thumbs up, which basically means that she's able to walk on her own without needing crutches or a wheelchair.

"Did you see me go?" Lizzie cheered excitedly as she clutched on my arm mindlessly. She gave me a puppy dog look, fluttering her mesmerizing eyes at me, "Are you proud of me?"

I blush a little, "Of course." I looked away for a second to calm myself down. "This cost for a celebration. What do you want to eat? I'll get you anything you want."

Lizzie jumped with so much excitement, "Oooh, I want french toast! Can you get me some, please?"

"Of course! Anything for you." I squeezed her cheeks, making her giggle.

"Yay!" She settled her head against my shoulder comfortably as we walked down the hallway.

My heart is fluttering. I can't remember the last time I felt like this. I feel so important to her, and for once I don't think I'm as useless as I portray myself to be. I feel like I'm in cloud nine, capable of doing anything I set my soul into. I'm going to keep chasing this feeling.

When we got back to her room, I grabbed my jacket, keys, and wallet before making my way to the door. But, before I could do so, she stopped me on my tracks. I looked back as she perched up on her bed, her gaze longingly plastered against mine.

"Don't take too long." Lizzie drew a faint smile.

I gave her a slight nod, "See you in a minute." I smiled and closed the door behind me.

• • •

There was only one place that made sense for me to go to. Luigi's Cafe Shop. I ordered what she wanted, along with a couple of snacks that she loved so much when we used to go. A few of the workers recognized me and asked how she was doing. They were happy to hear that she's doing so much better compared to the last time I showed face.