Beginning Middle End

"Will you be my beginning, my middle, my end?"

- The Greeting Committee (Beginning Middle End, 2021)

__________

Lizzie's POV

It was like human nature. A normal routine that gets my day going. The sight of her peacefully sleeping in front of me. I will never get used to this, and the feeling that follows it. Being around her is like coming home after a long day. Something so simple is more than enough for me. Maybe it was the simplicity of the way she was breathing or knowing that she's okay, but there's something about this moment that makes me want to stay in it for as long as my heart wants me to. And even though I could only remember a fracture of our memories together, my heart remembered what my mind forgot.

I let my fingertip run across her face ever so delicately. With every touch, I admire the warmth it offers my heart and soul. It's like I could feel myself falling in love with her over again. Flashbacks of all the good things she has ever done for me, the little to grand gestures, it brought me to tears. I don't think I've met someone so perfect for me. A forgiving, down to Earth, loveable person. Someone who's patient enough to stand by my side through it all. She's my person.

"Good morning." Y/N stirred into consciousness with a smile on her face. "How'd you sleep?"

"It was good."

"I'm glad." She pulled me in further, my face buried deep against her warm chest. "Can we stay like this for five more minutes?"

"Of course."

"Thank you. You're amazing."

Y/N placed a chaste kiss on my forehead as she drifted back to sleep. A single tear escaped my eye. The sound of her heart beating made me happy. It put me at ease knowing that she's alive in this moment with me. I don't think there's a place I would rather be in than within her embrace. A moment of pure impact.

She was asleep for more than five minutes. I didn't have the heart to wake her up. And besides, I enjoyed being inside of her arms just as much as she probably liked sleeping in longer. I didn't go to sleep. Not that I could. I was taking her in, and everything that she is. I wish I could stay here forever.

Eventually, she woke up. Y/N slowly stirred into consciousness, and flashed me that beautiful, heartwarming smile of hers. And suddenly, the feeling came back again. Not that it left, but it sparked another not so surprising revelation of how much I'm truly deeply in love with her.

"I was asleep for longer than five minutes, wasn't I?" She chuckled sheepishly. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay." I said. "You looked so peaceful sleeping. I didn't have the heart to wake you."

"Did you sleep too?"

"No, I couldn't."

"How long was I asleep for?"

"Over an hour. Give or take."

Y/N took a quick glance at the clock behind her, "Shit, aren't we supposed to fly back today? I still haven't packed yet, I'm sor—"

"Hey, it's okay." I smiled at her flusteredness. "I extended our stay for one more day. We leave tomorrow."

"Oh, you did?"