All Too Well

"Running scared, I was there, I remember it all too well."

- Taylor Swift (All Too Well ~ 10 Minute Version, 2021)

_________

Y/N's POV

Blood. I see nothing but blood. My hands were covered in them as I stood alone in the waiting area of the hospital. Tears completely glossed over my eyes while my entire body felt numb. My lips trembled in pure anguish, furious at no one but myself. I caused this. There is no one to blame but myself.

"How could you let this happen to her?!" Jarnette wallowed in sorrow. "You were supposed to protect her. Now look at what you did to my daughter. She's dead! And there is no one to blame but you."

"How could you live with yourself knowing you're the reason why my sister is dead?!" MK's voice cracked in between words. "This is all your fault!"

"She's gone because of you!" Ashley added, throwing a couple punches on my chest. "You let her die, you selfish asshole!"

"I wish it was you that died instead of her." Maya muttered under her breath, a hint of anger and disdain evident in her tone.

Their voices ran around my head as they spoke amongst themselves, screaming at me, letting me know that it was my fault, and I didn't do enough to save her. I don't disagree with them. In fact, they're completely correct. It should've been me instead of her. I should've died instead. I don't deserve to live. And I sure quite didn't feel like living either.

I gasped for air as I woke up, my body jolted into a seated position. Sweat covered every corner of my body, and air doesn't seem to be connecting with me. I couldn't breathe. I felt suffocated, like I have been running my entire life without stopping. My dream, the nightmare, felt so real.

I almost believed it myself. The look of disgust they gave me as I stood in front of them, feeling guilty for myself, it was unimaginable. I have never felt that type of pain in my life before. And the more I thought about it, the less of a person I felt.

It broke me in more ways than one. The feeling, and idea of having to live in a world without her, shattered me to pieces. I didn't want to live anymore. I have never wanted to disappear from existence until that very moment. I let her die, and there was nothing I could do but watch as it happened. They were right. I don't deserve to live.

I've been trying to catch my breath for the past fifteen minutes. It hurts to take one full breath. It stings from the inside like I'm inhaling shards of glass, and I'm internally bleeding with every second that passes by. My chest didn't make it any better. I'm emotionally drained from a dream that felt so real, I thought it was a reality I had to live with for the rest of my life, and knowing I wasn't strong enough to save her.

My phone ringing loudly made me jump. I grabbed it from my nightstand, still a little out of breath. When I saw her name written across the screen of my phone, I froze for a split second before answering her facetime call.

L- Hey! Good morning. Wait, I'm sorry, did I wake you?

Y/N- No, you didn't

L- Okay, good because there's something I want to— Y/N, are you okay? You look out of it

Y/N- Yeah, everything's great. I just woke up, so that's probably why.