Little Things

"Your hand fits in mine like it's made just for me
But bear this mind, it was meant to be."

- One Direction (Little Things, 2012)

——————

Y/N's POV

A faint sound of shared laughter stirred me into consciousness. I fluttered my eyes slowly so as to not blind my sight with the brightness of the room. When I could finally see what's in front of me, I drew a warm smile as I watched Lizzie helping Maya with her history homework. I can't remember the last time I saw them like this, so I don't let them know I'm awake. Instead, I continued to admire them from afar, pretending to be asleep.

"Nice job, little one!" Lizzie gave her a high-five. "You are such a quick learner. I'm impressed."

Maya giggled adorably as she blushed, "Thank you, mom." She covered her mouth almost immediately when she realized what she said. "I'm sorry. I didn't mind to call you—"

"Don't apologize." Lizzie gained a hold of the little one's face. "I may not remember you, but I'm your mom, okay?"

She nodded with a smile, "Okay."

"Little one, can you keep a secret?"

"Of course."

Lizzie ducked down to her level, probably to whisper, "Do you know if Y/N is seeing anyone?"

I felt my entire body go berserk right after I heard her ask the question. Blood aggressively rushing through my face like they're meant to. I cannot contain whatever it is I'm feeling, and if I don't do anything about this, I will break cover and it would be embarrassing for all of us.

With my eyes closed, I listened in on their conversation, "No. She's not seeing anyone." Maya answered with a teasing laugh.

"Oh, really? That's good." Her voice sounded like she's observing me.

"Are you seeing anyone?"

Lizzie chuckled, "No, I'm not. I've been too busy sleeping my days away."

"I have an idea." Maya pointed. "Why don't you and Y/N go out on a date or two. It could be fun."

I choked silently at the little one's bluntness. There is absolutely no way she's playing cupid for our sunken relationship. This was the last thing I expected.

"That sounds like a great idea." Lizzie said softly. "Maybe when I get out of here."

They laughed together once more as the two continued to converse about all things me and my interests. Lizzie's questions about me were persistent, like she's trying to figure me out. It's quite interesting because despite the lack of sight, I could almost see all of her facial expressions and how innocent they probably look.

I eventually woke up. Maya poked my arm adorably asking for food. I pretended like I've been asleep the whole time and yawned like I just woke up. They seem to believe it, so I didn't have to come up with an excuse as to why I was eavesdropping.

I insisted for them to stay behind while I went to get our food. I drove to the nearby breakfast diner and ordered what they wanted. It took almost twenty minutes until I got everything. Before I could leave the premises, my phone began to ring loudly. I looked at my phone and saw Athena calling. I answered it almost immediately.