Sparks

"But I promise you this. I'll always look out for you."

- Coldplay (Sparks, 2000)

_______________

Y/N's POV

My eyes shot wide open. I looked around me, and for a moment, I completely forgot that I slept in Lizzie's room last night. The memory remained engraved in my mind. The way we fell asleep, and how her body naturally entangled against my own. Nothing about last night felt forced. She mumbled herself to sleep, telling me how safe she felt, and I almost cried myself to sleep. It reminded me of the old us, and how much I've missed it.

When I realized that I was the only one in the room, and I woke up to an empty spot right next to me, she must've woken up before me. I hope we weren't in an awkward position or anything. The last thing I want is for her to feel weird, and who knows? It could trigger her mood swings. I don't want to get pushed aside by the only person I want to stand by side with.

I got up from bed, and did my morning routine. Maybe it was the goodnight's sleep, but I felt like a fatigued zombie walking in the bathroom. I want to go back to bed and sleep the day away, but unfortunately I'm an adult, and I have things to do. Oh, how I miss being a kid with nothing to worry about.

Fortunately, my body found a way to muster enough energy to bring myself downstairs. I stopped on my tracks as soon as I heard inside voices in the kitchen, more so Maya's soft laughter with her mom.

"Oh, look who finally decided to join us." Lizzie announced. "About time you wake up, decide to wake up."

I smiled, "Good morning to you too, Elizabeth." I took a seat next to Maya, my gaze still following Lizzie in the kitchen. "And good morning to you too, little bear."

"I'm not so little anymore." Maya said in between laughter.

"You don't want to be my little bear anymore?" I fake pouted.

"I didn't say that." The little one gained a hold of my hand, squeezing it ever so gently. "I'll always be your little bear."

I ruffled her hair, "Good. Now, tell me, what did your mom make for breakfast for us today?"

Maya looked behind her for a quick second, "This is just between us, but she woke me up really early so that we could make breakfast for you. She was so nervous and blushing the entire time earlier when I was helping her so, uh—" She whispered but stopped as soon as Lizzie joined us.

"What are we talking about here?"

"Nothing." Maya and I said unison, making Lizzie suspicious of us.

"Hmmm..." She hummed. "We'll talk about this later, Y/N. But, for now, Eat. It's your favorite. Oh, and here's a cup of coffee. Just the way you like them. I think." Lizzie rambled as she scrunched her nose in an attempt to hide her nervousness.

I held her hand, "Thank you. I appreciate it."

The three of us ate in not so comfortable silence. We laughed at everything Maya told us, and every chance she got, she would steer every conversation at me, making sure that Lizzie pays me all the attention in the world. I admire her persistence, and willpower to try to connect us as if it's her job to do. It's quite adorable, actually.