Chapter 56

Chapter 56

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"So the original diagnosis was incorrect. You did lose some memory. The reason it was not initially detected is because playing guitar is not an essential skill your body needs to function."

"So I have lost all ability to play guitar?"

"You will have to relearn, if that's what you're asking. Some memory loss is always expected when people emerge from a comatose state."

"Do you have any idea what else I can't do?"

"I'm sorry, but I don't. You are going to have to find those on your own."

"Okay. Thank you."

Lukes voice was so hollow I wanted to just die so I wouldn't have to hear it anymore. He slowly stood up. I tried to reach for him as he passed by,  but he just kept walking like I wasn't even there.

His eyes were so dull. The light behind them was gone. Like no soul was there anymore.

Luke walked straight out of the hospital but instead of going back to the car like the rest of us, he turned towards town. It was especially odd to go for a walk considering how chilly and overcast it was and the wind picking up, signs of an impending storm.

"Luke honey,  please get in the car, a storm is coming." Mrs Hemmings called to him. He faltered for a seconds before cool replying

"No." Despite the lack of emotion in his voice, the firmness of his answer left no room for reasoning. Michael tried anyway.

"C'mon Luke, it's gonna rain."

"I'll see you guys later." And with that he rounded the corner. Mrs. Hemmings let out a sigh.

"Well let's go back to the house, he'll find his way home eventually." We all reluctantly pile into the car and drive off.

--

A couple hours later Luke returned looking more alive than the last time.

"So... how are you gonna learn guitar well enough by April?" Mike asks

What's in Apirl?

"I don't know.  But I'll have to figure it out."

"Guys, what's in April?" I ask and they all true to me, then Luke.

"You haven't told her?" Calum asks Luke

"Told me what?"

"I was gonna." His head is bowed

"Swell job mate."

"Hey! I was planning on it ya know. It just hasn't really come up yet."

"What hasn't he told me?!"

"We are going on One Direction's Where We Are tour with them." He mumbles. My mouth drops. Really? Again with the not telling me about tours? Is it really that horrible that I know these things?

"And, uh, when were you planning to tell me exactly?" I say with a fake and forced smile on my face.

"I dunno. Sometime before we left?" He shrugs his shoulders and still doesn't meet my eye.

"No kidding Luke."

"Sorry."

"Whatever. How long have you known anyway?" I rub my forehead out of frustration.

"The uh, the day after your mom uh, passed." Ash answered.

"Oh." Was all I could respond to that. " how long will you be gone for?"

"Til October."

"What?!" My face blanks, "7 months?"

"Yeah, kinda."

"And you have 4 months to relearn guitar. Everything is going so great now isn't it?"

"I'm gonna have to bust my ass to do it, but I must still have some muscle memory." Luke said. I'm glad he looked at this optimistically,  I would have just moped.

--

2 weeks later and Luke is still hopeful to relearn all that he had lost.

Everyday after school he spent the rest of the evening in his room, with his guitar. I don't know how his fingers aren't dead, but miracles do happen.

They have had a couple of band practices and Luke has relearned a couple of their songs, but still messes up. I can see the frustration on his face and through his eyes and I wish I could do something.  Short of giving him his memory back, nothing much else will help what he has deemed as his mission.

"Luuuke you can relax for one night." I am again trying (and failing) to get Luke away from his instrument.

"No Nik. I have less that three and a half months to relearn everything!" He is getting himself worked up, again. "Can't you see that I need to figure this out! I don't have time to just sit and do nothing, I can lose any time!"

"Hey hey hey. Luke, you can rest for one night. I bet the tips of your fingers will thank you." And he didn't smile.

He just stared at me, nothing about him giving away any of his thoughts. He seemed to be reading mine though.

" I know. But I can't. I need to learn this."

"Yes you need to learn this and you need to learn that. But you also need to relax."

"You don't understand!" His voiced raised. Shit, I pushed too hard. "And you will never understand! Why can't you just let me do this? Why must you keep telling me to stop? I want this. This makes me happy. Please go."

I was taken aback by his statement. My surprise soon turned into anger.

"You don't understand that I am just trying to help! Why are you so- ughh!"

"Ughh isn't a word babe." He calmly stated.

I wanted to explode.

But before I could say anything I regret, I got out of there.

Ever get so angry you just wanna cry?

Yeah? Well I bawled.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

This is a little late.... sorry

Zayn left two days ago.....

It's not even that i really like them anymore but any time someone leaves a band it's not really fun for anyone.

On a happier note....
Thanks for reading my book it means loads! (\^.^)/

xx
Noelle