Part 44

The next morning, the Japanese boys all decided to do the horse race to determine who picked the fastest horse.

"Alright, what are the stakes boys?" Yuta asked.

"Winner gets to ask the losers for anything?" Mashiho suggested.

"Sounds good," Junghwan agreed.

"Fine with me."

"Hold on, there's a lot of gray areas there. What do you mean by 'the winner gets to ask the losers for anything'? Like a favor or tangible items? And does the winner get to ask anything from each loser or collectively as a group?" Yuta asked.

"Don't overcomplicate things. The winner can ask anything of the losers, whether he wants a favor or an item, it's up to him to decide. It's also up to him to decide whether he wants to claim his prize from the losers as a group or individually," Mashiho elaborated.

"Nah nah, that's too much power on the winner," Yuta protested.

"Why are you scared?" Junghwan daunted.

"It has nothing to do with being scared, it's all about probability." Yuta defended himself. "This race is to find out the fastest horse, but the jockey still plays a role in the race. If all the horses have the same speed, then the better jockey wins. Haruto and Mashiho are significantly much better than the rest of us in horse riding, so they have an advantage. I'm not stupid enough to accept a high stakes bet when the odds are against me!"

Junkyu looked at Yuta in shock. He didn't think Yuta could sound so wise.

Haruto saw Junkyu's expression and chuckled. Haruto slightly leaned to Junkyu and quietly said, "Surprised that Yuta isn't as brainless as he seems?"

"Yeah," Junkyu mumbled.

"I told you, he's actually smart. But he's very obnoxious and ego driven. So majority of the time he doesn't bother to think before acting out. But on the rare occasions he actually decides to use his brain, he can surprise you."

"What are you two whispering about!?" Yuta asked.

"Nothing!" Junkyu answered.

"Then we can make it so that if Haruto or I win, we only get to ask one small favor from one of the losers. And by small I mean something that can be easily done. Does that even out the stakes for you?" Mashiho asked.

"Alright! I agree!"

"Then let's go!"

"Be careful," Junkyu lightly mumbled to Haruto just as he was about to leave.

Haruto gave Junkyu a soft smile, "I will."

As the Japanese boys were preparing for the race, the Korean boys waited by a bench near the finish line.

"Who do you think will win?" Yedam asked.

Both Jaehyuk and Doyoung immediately answered Asahi and Mashiho at the same time.

"Trust the whipped ones to say their partners will win." Yedam rolled his eyes.

"After they chose their horses I secretly asked the stables manager who was the fastest. He said on average, the horse that Mashiho chose is faster than the rest. But apparently there are times where Haruto's horse can go faster than Mashiho's. He said Haruto's horse is a wild card and his performance fluctuates depending on its mood." Hyunsuk said.

After fifteen minutes of waiting, the Japanese boys were finally ready to race.

As soon as the gates opened, the horses dashed forward, Haruto and Mashiho were neck-a-neck in the lead. Near the end of the track, Haruto and Mashiho created a significant distance between them and the rest of the Japanese boys. It was a very close race between the two. But at the last strides, Haruto and his horse managed to cross the finish line faster.

Junkyu jumped in excitement. Haruto won!

"What do you want?" Yuta sulkingly asked Haruto.

"I don't know yet. I'll let you guys know when I figure out what I want."

"I knew something like this would happen. We should have been more detailed with the stakes," Yuta grumbled. He wanted to get this favor over and done with so he doesn't have to keep worrying about it.

Since they still had time to kill before Yuta's cocktail party, the Korean boys convinced their Japanese partners to guide them in riding horses once more. The race got them all pumped up.

"Do you want to go for a ride as well?" Haruto asked Junkyu.

"Nah, I don't think I ever want to ride a horse again."

"Then what do you want to do to kill time?" Everyone else, even Hyunsuk and Jihoon who aren't in the best of terms, were all riding horses.

Junkyu pondered for a moment before an idea finally crossed his mind. "Oh! Can we go for a drive on one of the golf carts I saw earlier?"

"I'll see if I can arrange it."