Part 56

The following morning, Junkyu and Jihoon got up early to start preparing for Mrs Kim's birthday. Jaehyuk also came over to help cook.

Mrs Kim initially didn't want to have a party. But Junkyu and Mr Kim insisted. They said that after all the stuff that's going on, they need something positive in their life. They also wanted to distract Mrs Kim from all the stress she has to deal with due to Cho Dohwan.

In the end, Mrs Kim gave in and decided to have a small picnic party with their close family and friends by a park within the gated neighbourhood. Junkyu and Mr Kim wanted to hold it by the park near their actual house but Haruto was firmly against it.

Just three days ago, one of Cho Dohwan's men followed Mr Kim from his work to try and see where they moved to. Fortunately, the bodyguard that Haruto hired took care of him and sent him to the police.

Since then, there have been no signs of Cho Dohwan. Junkyu and Mr Kim thought that he'd leave them alone now because one of his men was arrested. That's why they thought that it was fine to go home and host the party in their old neighbourhood. But Haruto argued that Cho Dohwan is somewhat unpredictable and that they shouldn't put their guests at risk.

•♥•♥•♥•

After the party Jihoon asked Haruto to drop him home. Hyunsuk initially offered to drive him home but Jihoon refused, saying that it was impractical of him to drive all the way to Junkyu's house just so he can drive him home. It was best for Haruto to do it since he already lives in the neighbourhood.

Truth be told Jihoon wanted Hyunsuk to drive him, but he wanted to use this opportunity to talk to Haruto.

Right now, Haruto just started driving. Jihoon couldn't wait any more and bluntly asked; "Haruto, do you like Junkyu?"

Haruto flushed and struggled to respond. Jihoon was expecting Haruto to say no. He suspected that Haruto might not even be aware of his own feelings. But it seems like he was wrong.

"Actually you don't have to answer that. I know you like him. It's pretty obvious. And I'm sure you can tell he likes you too."

"He likes me?" Haruto briefly glanced at Jihoon skeptically. He was still driving so he couldn't fully look at Jihoon to assess if he was joking.

Jihoon looked at Haruto in disbelief. It can't be possible that Haruto can't tell right? "Junkyu is more obvious than you are."

"I had a feeling he might like me back, but I wasn't sure." This was the truth. He didn't want to assume. After all, Junkyu is the type of guy that's just friendly to everyone.

"Well now you know. So what are you planning to do about it?"

Haruto remained silent for a while before answering, "Nothing. Unfortunately there's nothing I can do about it. You should know why."

Jihoon noticed that Haruto's hands were gripping the steering wheel tightly. Jihoon took this as a sign of Haruto's frustration.

"Ruto..." Jihoon trailed off. "You do realise that you guys are just setting yourselves for a heartbreak right?"

Haruto did not respond again.

"Junkyu is smitten with you. But once you leave I know it will devastate him..." He briefly paused and looked at Haruto who now looked defeated and tense. "And by the looks of it, it might devastate you too."

"Don't you think it's best if both of you keep your distance so you don't get too attached and hurt when you separate?"

"Honestly, when I first realised my feelings for him, I wanted to avoid him." Haruto finally responded. "But I couldn't do it. Even just the thought of how he would look at me with his sad eyes was too much for me."

"It's ridiculous really." Haruto gave a sarcastic laugh. "All my life nothing ever phased me because of my status. I thought nothing ever will. Until him."

"Ruto..."

"I understand your concern. I know you don't want him to be hurt. I don't either. I just want to make the most of the limited time I have with him." Haruto sighed.

Jihoon understood where Haruto is coming from. Junkyu probably feels the same way. "Sorry for being nosy. I'm just worried about you guys."

"I know. I'm glad Junkyu has you." Haruto smiled at Jihoon.