Part 49

"Would you stop flirting with Junkyu and focus on the game?" Asahi whined at Haruto who was grinning on his phone.

"What makes you think I'm even talking to Junkyu?"

"You have that stupid grin on your face. Who else can it be?" Asahi rolled his eyes. "Now stop AFKing or I'm leaving you."

When they killed the last team and claimed victory, the duo did a high five.

"I think I'm done for today." Haruto announced.

"Alright, I'll play one solo to finish my dalies." Asahi started a new game by himself.

Haruto on the other hand was deep in his thoughts. "Asahi..."

Asahi 'hmm'ed in response.

"I think I like Junkyu."

"Yes, I know. Everyone knows that already."

"No, I mean, I think I like him in a romantic way."

Asahi looked up from his Switch and smirked at Haruto. "Congratulations, you finally noticed."

"What do you mean I finally noticed. I'm not dense."

"No you're not. You were just in denial weren't you?"

Haruto did not respond. It was the truth after all. He struggled accepting the fact that he likes Junkyu.

"So what are you going to do about it?" Asahi asked.

"What can I do about it?" Haruto sighed. "It's not like I can be with him. My identity makes it impossible for us. I don't want to waste his time."

"That's true." Asahi agreed. He looked at Haruto who was slouched on the couch looking defeated. He felt bad for his best friend.

"But what if Junkyu was the one you were supposed to spend the rest of your life with?" Asahi asked. "Are you okay with letting him go for an empty title?"

"What do you mean?"

"Think about it Ruto. The imperial family has no actual political power. At most, the emperor appoints the prime minister. Otherwise, all you guys do is go to a bunch of events." Asahi explained.

"If we were in ancient era where the royal family had the duty to rule and protect the country, then I'd understand if you have to sacrifice your happiness." Asahi continued. "But Ruto, seriously, Japan will thrive without the imperial family. Heck, no offence, I don't think anyone will even notice if Japan was to suddenly abolish the monarchy. I'm pretty sure majority of the world doesn't even know that Japan has a royal family."

Haruto frowned at Asahi's words. He dislikes it when people belittle the purpose of his family. The royal family does more than go to a bunch of events. But Asahi does have a point. The royal family is really just an empty shell.

Seeing that Haruto is pondering his words, Asahi decided to tell Haruto a decision that he has yet to tell anyone. "I'm sure you can tell I like Jaehyuk. In fact I plan on pursuing him."

Haruto looked at Asahi in shock. He knew that Asahi likes Jaehyuk. But he didn't expect that he would do something about it. After all, his identity as a royal companion also makes it impossible for the two of them to be together. "Sahi..." Haruto was about to remind Asahi of this fact.

"I know that as your royal companion my image also has to be squeaky clean or else they'll use me to bring you down." Asahi paused before finally saying, "That's why I was planning to resign as your royal companion if things work out between Jaehyuk and I."

"What?" Haruto was stumped. He didn't even fully comprehend what Asahi just said. He felt betrayed. "You're abandoning me for Jaehyuk?"

"Don't say it like that." Asahi grimaced. "I'm not abandoning you. You will always be my bestfriend. I just don't want to lose my happiness for a life that I don't even want."

Haruto feels extremely overwhelmed. He can't even begin to imagine his life without Asahi. "You said you'd always be there for me..."

"And I will," Asahi assured him. "Just not as your royal companion."

"You're seriously leaving me..."

"Ruto..." Asahi sighed in defeat. Seeing as Haruto is failing to see his point of view, Asahi decided to try a different approach. "I don't want to spend the rest of my life going with you to pointless events and interviews. Heck you don't want that either. Just before we went to Korea you were having a mental breakdown over it."

Haruto did not respond. As much as he hated it, he knew Asahi was right. Haruto was finally starting to see where Asahi was coming from.

"I finally found someone to show me how beautiful life is. And I don't want to give that up." Asahi continued. "Don't you want me to be happy?"

"I do..." Haruto sighed. "You know I do. But it's just hard for me to accept that you won't be by my side anymore."

"It's not certain. Afterall, I also don't want to be apart from you unless I'm sure that Jaehyuk is the one I want to spend the rest of my life with."

"Please." Haruto rolled his eyes. "Have you guys seen how you guys act around each other? It's pretty certain already."

"You think so?" Asahi smiled.

"Everyone can see it." Haruto confirmed which made Asahi's smile wider. Hartuo could count the amount of times Asahi smiled ever since he can remember. But Jaehyuk was able to double that amount in the short time that they've known each other. Realising this, Haruto no longer had the desire to sulk about his friend's decision. "As long as you're happy."

"You know I also want you to be happy." Asahi said. "So think about what I said okay? Seriously consider if the empty throne is worth more than Junkyu."