CHAPTER 16

"So. Do you guys want soda or something?" Present Mic's voice came from next to the fridge. You chuckled and agreed along with Midnight, enjoying the peaceful morning you had left until you had to compete against every one of your age-group students in the school.

You stood in your class' waiting room, stretching every part of your body except your wings. You would stretch them later. You started to check if your visor and headphones were all good to go when you heard Todoroki speak up.

"Midoriya."

"H-Hey, Todoroki. What's up?" the green-haired boy answered. They stared each other down for a bit.

"From an objective standpoint, I think it's fair to say I'm stronger than you," Todoroki said blandly.

Pffffffff- What?! Wow... you thought.

Midoriya nodded. "Yeah."

"However," Todoroki said. "You've got All Might in your corner helping you out."

You raised a brow at this. Sure, they had a mentor-student sort of relationship but that didn't mean All Might was just gonna somehow make him win everything. That is simply impossible.

As you watched the rest of the situation play out, you thought a bit.

I wonder why Todoroki's being all aggressive right now... He always seemed less... determined to me. Like he knew what he's worth. but I guess that also crumbles when you compete with hundreds of people. Or maybe he's pressured due to being the number 2 hero's son...

"Y/n," Todoroki turned to you, making you sit up from the chair you were half-laying down on, trying to be comfortable with your wings.

"Hm?"

"Don't think I'll go easy on you either."

You smirked. "Wouldn't dream of it."

You stared each other down, neither of you backing out or blinking.

"All right let's head out!" Iida said, drawing everyone's attention.

You jumped up from your chair excitedly and walked out. Along with the others, of course.

***

As you walked out of the tunnel, you almost immediately stretched your wings, making the bones in them pop slightly.

Aah~ I hate how they get after being cramped for so long.

"Hey, Y/n! Leave some spotlight to the rest of us!" Kirishima said cheerily, peeking from behind your wing.

You chuckled. "What can I say - I like to show off."

As Present Mic introduced your class, Midoriya started feeling nervous.

When you saw it you slapped his back. "Relax dude! You're not getting a grade for it and the school won't allow you to end up dead! So you'll be fine~"

As for what happened next, Midnight managed to silence everyone and... and tell Bakugou to represent the students.

You sighed. By far the worst choice but there's nothing I can do I guess.

As someone from beside you sighed, you looked over to the general studies class. Your eyes lit up.

Wait- Is that?

Since Bakugou hadn't reached the stage yet, you took it as an opportunity to send one of your feathers to poke the purple-haired boy's cheek.

Once you got his attention, you smiled and waved.

He also smiled a bit. So I got to see her again. Wonder if I could talk to her later... She was very nice at the park. But I hope it's before I show off my quirk... She knows the name but what if she doesn't trust me anymore when she learns how it works?

Bakugou reached the stage and you all turned your heads there.

"I just wanna say... I'm gonna win."

You choked on air which threw you into a coughing fit as the crowd raged.

But you didn't, however. You laughed.

"What a joke," you laughed out, but not loud enough for a lot of people to hear. Or so you thought.

Bakugou, who had come off the stage, grabbed your collar.

"What did you say?" he growled.

"I didn't think you were deaf-"

"I'm not deaf! I just dare you to say it again."

"Okay. Challenge accepted," you smiled. "What. A. Joke."

"HOW DARE YOU SAY SOMETHING LIKE THAT TO ME?!"

"What?" you smiled. "It's not like you can do anything."

The whole stadium's attention was on you two for a while and you were aware of that.

"Not at least in front of this kind of crowd. I mean- nobody would think you deserve first place when you happened to hurt me just over some words, right?" you still continued smirking slyly all through that, silently challenging Bakugou.

He scoffed as he put you down with a 'It's not over yet'.

You smiled. Believe me... This has just started.

"Alright," the attention was on Midnight again. "The first event is..."

Obstacle race. Shouldn't be too hard... I could just fly it through... Nah that would be boring, you planned while Midnight explained the event.

As all the students readied themselves in the start, the crowd was still murmuring and betting on what could happen next. The pro heroes in their seats also discussed the possible outcomes.

"We know little to nothing," Mirko said. "What do you think the outcome will be, Hawks?"

"Guess we'll have to wait and see," the red-winged pro hero answered, eyes fixated on a figure in the crowd.

She seems familiar... No. It can't be Y/n. She was taken by the villains, I have to stop thinking about her so much, considering she's probably dead. But I do have a meeting with Aizawa and Mic later. Maybe I can ask them about who that is...

And with that, the start was given.