Chapter 40: Aki vs Wataru Akiyama, Downhill

[Nobuhiko's Pov]

"Why are we here again, Wataru?"

"To learn about them driving for our advantage against Aki and his friend."

"So you're telling me that you challenged your Pokemon and his friend to a race with the Northern Saitama Alliance?"

"That's correct."

"And you spied on them and found out that they're going to race on this Tsuchisaka where we are standing right now against a team of Mitsubishi Lancer Evo?"

"That is also correct."

"And you want me to study on them by standing on this spot where we can see them drift on this... Oiled corner?"

"I planned it carefully from the start. I've been monitoring Aki for a while, and found out that they're going to battle against this team on Tsuchisaka. I told myself why not tell you about it and bring you with me to watch them drift and show their skills."

We then heard an approaching car roaring on the road. It's the S15 and the CP9A. It sounds like the S15 has a turbo, and it's driving with the headlights off. The S15 then suddenly turns the headlights on before they enter the sharp corner, and the CP9A slip out from the oiled road, the S15 overtaking it.

So that's how he races.

[Ryo's Pov]

Sadamine, the touge where the cherry blossoms flourish during the spring and fall during the autumn. The touge famous for the interconnection of a tight road into the main road. Here I am under the middle of the night sky, standing by my S15 as we wait with the Northern Saitama Alliance for Aki and Rai to arrive. He told me that he'll be a bit late because he had to pick up something from the restaurant we all met at. I looked around and saw Nobuhiko and Wataru talking to one another.

[Wataru's Pov]

"So who should we bring out to defeat the turbocharged S15? You or Sakamoto? I tuned the Cappuccino for the roads of Sadamine." Nobuhiko asked and I glanced at Ryo who's standing by his S15 before looking back at Nobuhiko.

"Send the Cappuccino, it's going to be a quick win with the EA11R. We're in advantage of this battle since the S15 that Ryo uses is a bit heavy. I'll be racing against Aki while Sakamoto races against Ryo." I stated and Nobuhiko fixed his glasses.

"Don't forget about his turbo. Hopefully it won't rain like the battle of Sakamoto and Takumi-" As soon as he said that, it began to rain. Nobuhiko sighed and quickly pulled out an umbrella out of nowhere, using it to shield us from the rain. "Welp, today's not so lucky is it?"

[Ryo's Pov]

It began to rain. I can see Sakamoto struggle to pull out his umbrella from his EA11R to shield himself from the rain. Kyoko Iwase is there by her FD3S with an umbrella. Meanwhile I'm here standing by my S15, no umbrella to shield me from the rain. I shivered a bit just as I heard a car approaching, it was Aki and his AE86 Levin. Finally, he has arrived. The AE86 Levin pulled by my S15 and Aki stepped out of his car before running over to me. "Sorry, I had to call someone before I head here. The telephone by the hotel was offline, so I had to drive to the restaurant just to get a call."

I nodded and soon a CP9A arrived. It's Rai, and I wonder where he went too. The CP9A pulled by our cars and he stepped outside, approaching us with his jacket hoodie on his head. "I studied the roads for both of you. Tonight's a different race, because it's raining and it got the road slippery. Who's going to race first?" Rai asked and Nobuhiko approached us.

"Aki against Wataru. Do we follow the rules of Project D?" Nobuhiko asked and Rai nodded. "Let's get this started. They'll be driving downhill first, practice run to remember the corners and hairpins, then at the bottom is where the real fun starts. Uphill battle on wet roads." He stated before looking at Aki. "You can do that, right?"

Aki nodded and giggled. "Of course I can. I can battle on the rain. I've never done it before, but maybe I can learn something from it." He stated and Wataru approached us. "I'll do the chase, I wanna watch Aki drive from behind."

Aki and Wataru went into their cars and parked it on the road. Rai went close to Aki's AE86 Levin.

[Aki's Pov]

I opened the car window and Rai peeked inside. "Since the roads are wet because of the rain, there will be a decreased traction on the road. Less braking on the entry corner, more braking and gas control on the middle and end of corners. Since he'll be the chaser, you have to maintain the lead as much as possible. If he does overtake you, don't lose him from behind and watch him. Use your driver's eye on the second section of uphill to unleash your car's true potential on the wet roads, then overtake him from the third section while your driver's eye is still active. After that, maintain the lead."

I nodded and brought the window up before Rai walked to the front and began the countdown.

"5!" This is it. An official battle against my trainer.

"4!" A battle against him with his teammates.

"3!" I'll prove to you that I've gotten better, and that I can defeat you.

"2!"

"1!"

"Go!"

I pressed hard on the gas and shifted gears, accelerating down the Sadamine road as the AE86 behind me does the same, chasing me from behind.

[Rai's Pov]

This is going to be a rough battle between a Pokemon and it's trainer. I sighed and approached Ryo who's standing by his S15, fiddling around with his phone. "Hey, how's your little phone going." I asked and he looked at me before looking back at his phone.

"It's going good so far. I was able to text my trainer about our battle with the Northern Saitama Alliance. Oh yeah, about earlier. What did you do with my S15 and Aki's AE86 Levin?" Ryo asked and I smirked. "That? You do realize that I added a boost gauge on your S15, right? You almost blew your turbo off with the battle against that Ichijo. I sent both of your cars earlier to a nearby garage, and I got Aki's AE86 Levin fitted with the same as his trainer's, Supercharger." I explained and his eyes widened.

"A supercharger the same as his trainer? What are you planning?" He asked again and I glanced at Ryo's S15. "A neck to neck battle against his trainer. A battle to prove who's better, the Pokemon or the trainer."

[Wataru's Pov]

He's doing good on the corners of the first section of downhill so far. I'll have to pressure him a bit on this section. With both of us entering the second section, I pressed hard on the gas as we enter the straight road. The AE86 in front braked and drifted into the corner. You're not supposed to be braking. I let off the gas on the corner and pressed hard on the gas on the exit, letting me catch up on him while the rain pour down on us.

[Aki's Pov]

I glanced at my rear view mirror and noticed that my trainer is shortening the gap behind me. He's doing better on this that I thought he would be. Am I braking too hard? I'll just have to find out and see for myself. Rain, carry me to your desires! Approaching a corner, braked lesser and turned right, pressing on the gas and leaving the corner faster than the previous one. I glanced on my rear view mirror again and noticed that the AE86 behind me is still on my tail, maintaining a small gap between me and Wataru. Did I do something wrong? Something doesn't feel right. Approaching the hairpin, I braked before I noticed something. I looked to my right and noticed that the AE86 overtook me on the hairpin from the inside. Crap! I shouldn't have braked! The AE86 took the lead on the exit of the hairpin, leaving me on his tail.

This ain't done yet! I'll have to overtake you on the second half of the race!