Chapter 12: Koichiro Iketani

[Ryo's Pov]

I was fast asleep. Finally catching some rest from the restless nights of races when I was awoken by a knocking from my window. I got up from my sleeping pillow and turned around to look at my window and saw Aki standing, waiting for me. I opened the window and the morning breeze hits my fur as he climbs over in my house. What's the matter with this Cinderace?

"Ryo! Someone's challenging you to a race!"

My eyes widened in surprise. I thought I'm safe, but apparently not! Someone wants to race with me again! I haven't completed a sleep cycle yet and I'm going to race again!

"W-Who?" I asked before yawning.

"Koichiro Iketani of Akina SpeedStars! Driver of Nissan Silvia K's!"

This better be the last so I can spend the whole day of Christmas awake. I'm really tired right now, but the thought of racing just keeps me up. "Aki?" I called him and he turned around to look at me.

"Where can we get coffee?" I asked and he giggled. "I'll show you where, but first you gotta clean up."

[Rai's Pov]

"Why won't you bring your CP9A?" Yama asked while driving on the road. I was sitting on the passenger seat beside him as he drives on the road to Akina. I shook my head and looked at the window. "No, I don't want to bring it now because I want to ride your DC2."

It took a few seconds of silence before he responded. "If so, why does it have to be at Akina?"

"It's the home of Ryo, or as far as I know. There's a chance he'll be racing today, and I want to watch him drift. I want to study his maneuver so I can defeat him at Irohazaka." I stated and he shook his head.

"You don't need to study for it if you have simulation 3 of Emperor. You can just observe him while he drives, and overtake him at the last minute of the race."

"A little bit of extra knowledge won't hurt, right?"

We finally arrived at Akina and drove uphill when an AE86 passed us. I knew it, he'll be racing. We pulled by the parking lot and stepped out of the car. "Let's head to the 3 lane road by foot."

[Ryo's Pov]

We soon arrived at the peak of Akina with my cup of hot coffee on my cup holder. We pulled by the parking lot and stepped out of the car to be welcomed by the same faces I've seen. Itsuki, and two other guys I don't recognize. One guy approached me and greeted. "I'm Koichiro Iketani, driver of S13 and the leader of Akina SpeedStars. Your car reminds me of Takumi's, and I'd like to see if you're as great as him to handle an AE86."

"Woah! Is this really an AE86?!" Itsuki approached my car, his mouth gaping in amazement and surprise. "This was my dream car, but unfortunately I bought the wrong one. I'd like to battle you soon!"

Iketani nodded and looked at me. "What's your name?"

"Ryo."

"Good. Let's begin the race."

We went in our cars and parked by the road to prepare for the race. Itsuki stepped in front and began the countdown.

"5!"

"4!"

"3!"

"2!"

"1!"

"Go!"

We began the race with Iketani taking the lead with I not being far behind. This is the battle against a leader of a local racing team, and it's making my blood pump fast!

[Iketani's Pov]

Let's see if you can overtake my S13. Approaching the first hairpin, I braked and entered, drifting. I glanced at my rear mirror and noticed that the AE86 was closing in fast in the drift! What is with his car?!

[Ryo's Pov]

We both left the hairpin with the S13 still at the lead and not accelerating further. Focusing on the road, I noticed something's not right. He isn't going faster, is he slow, or am I fast? Pressing hard on the gas with the gear shifted on five, I slowly overtook the S13 and took the lead.

[Iketani's Pov]

Shimata! He overtook me! I have to catch up. Surely he can't perform the five consecutive hairpins like Takumi can. I need to overtake him! I pressed hard on the gas into the straight lanes, trying to catch up when suddenly, it began snowing? It's snowing! I've driven on Akina's roads covered in snow before, and I'll use this to my advantage to overtake him!

[Rai's Pov]

It began to snow, just as I anticipated. "Ryo appears to be a new racer, right? This snow may be a challenge for him. Do you think he's having a race against Koichiro Iketani of Akina SpeedStars?" I asked and Yami remained silent for a bit before responding.

"He's having a race against him. I sense their auras from up the hill. Iketani is acting different, probably adapting to the sudden weather change. Ryo however, isn't flinching from the snow. Ryo's using his sharp senses to adjust his steering to the road conditions. He's a tough opponent for us if he finally realizes his abilities."

He can sense the road conditions and adjust his maneuvering of the car to it. Someone who's uneasily defeated even by the best of the racers of the road. His sensing must've helped him back at the Myogi pass. "If he crashes or loses on this battle, I'll join him on our upcoming team and train him."

[Ryo's Pov]

I need to overtake him! I need to! I need to overtake him!! My vision turned blue and I sensed the upcoming five consecutive hairpins. It's close! I can feel the road. I can sense it all... The gutter run! I pressed hard on the gas with the S13 braking and drifting into the hairpin. I braked as soon as he entered and drifted, putting the wheels on the gutter run and accelerating fast into the hairpin and on the exit.

[Iketani's Pov]

Shimata! He overtook me! Is he doing the gutter technique of Takumi?! But that's impossible! He just can't drive like Takumi! He's a Lucario, a Pokemon! The AE86 braked and drifted into the next hairpin with the wheels in the gutter. It can't be! It's like I can feel Takumi inside of him-- No, it's like the legendary Bunta Fujiwara!

[Rai's Pov]

"They're close with Ryo using his abilities to sense the road and drive perfectly. It won't be long before he arrives at the three lane and reach the finish line." Yami stated and I focused on watching the road, waiting for the AE86 when it finally arrived. I looked closely and saw Ryo's eye glowing blue with the AE86 driving unusually faster than before. That's his abilities huh? I can't wait to battle him.

"Ryo has accidentally activated his driver's eye."

Hmph, I can't believe he has it too.