Chapter 56: Ryo vs Kai Kogashiwa

[Rai's Pov]

Nagao, the Touge of Team Katagiri known for it's multiple corners and uncovered gutters. It is the home of the professional racers named Kai Kogashiwa, and Hideo Minagawa. This is going to be the first time that Project P will be facing off a racing team.

"Hey uncle? Where are we going?" Mint asked, whom I completely forgot that's sitting beside me on the passenger seat. "We are going for a little vacation in Nagao. Ryo and Aki will be racing against a group of racers there." I stated as I kept my eyes on the road.

"Street racing?!" She immediately hops in joy on her seat and I chuckled. "Save your energy for later Mint, because later will be the best."

[Kai Kogashiwa's Pov]

Standing by my ZZW30 who's parked beside Hideo's JZA80, or what they simply called Supra. We both stand here on the parking lot, waiting for the Project P to arrive. It's been a while since I had a battle with an AE86, specifically Takumi's AE86, and now I'm going to battle another one again. "Don't lose to an AE86, because I surely won't be losing to one. Both hill climb and down hill specialist drivers of the Project P drives an AE86. Are we going to play this as chasers like before on Project D?" Hideo asked and I sighed.

"We're still doing it as chasers, but the outcome of the race will be the cornering of both vehicles. Just don't forget to believe in yourself, and remain focused throughout the race. By doing so, you got your line protected and will adjust only to the lead's mistake." I explained and Hideo nodded before a group of cars arrived. There's the two AE86's, which means this is the Project P.

[Ryo's Pov]

I stepped out of my AE86 and saw the two drivers of the Team Katagiri standing by their cars. The two approached us and reached their hands forward.

"Kai Kogashiwa, driver of the Toyota MR-S S-Edition, ZZW30, and down hill representative of Team Katagiri."

"Hideo Minagawa, driver of the Toyota Supra RZ, JZA80, and hill climb representative of Team Katagiri."

Huh, Kai Kogashiwa and Hideo Minagawa. I heard that they came from a professional racing team of the similar name. Knowing that they came from a professional racing team makes me nervous, but I know I shouldn't be. Rai approached them who's holding Mint on his arms. Mint, being clueless, shook each of their hands, making me giggle. "What a cute Zorua. I presume you're their team leader, Rai. What shall we do first, down hill or hill climb?" Kai asked and Rai pointed at me.

"Let's do the down hill battle first, and then the hill climb battle."

[Go Hojo's Pov]

It seems that the Project D are procrastinating their race against us, which gives me time to analyze Project P and their battles. Here I am standing by the tea shop of Nagao with Eiji Kubo holding a cup of tea. "Around a few minutes, the battle shall start and we will see how the AE86's of Project P handle the professional racers of Team Katagiri." Eiji Kubo stated before taking a sip on his cup of tea. With this battle, it should give us information as to how they battle.

[Ryo's Pov]

Before stepping inside my AE86, I feel a tap on my back, making me turn around to see that it is Rai who's still holding Mint. "Here's what I want you to do to win the race. Nagao is a touge known for the long corners you can drift on high speeds, and there's also the uncovered gutters you can use to your advantage. Since Kai chose to be the chaser, you have to keep up the pace and use inner wheel lift to your advantage. Use the uncovered gutters on the hairpin just at the start of the third section if you're being overtaken. Good luck." Rai stated and I looked at Mint who's staring at me. She waved her paw at me and I giggled.

I stepped inside of my AE86 Trueno with the ZZW30 behind me. Chase stepped in front and began the countdown.

"5!" This is going to be my first time to have a battle against a professional racer.

"4!" I glanced at my rear view mirror, seeing the ZZW30 rev it's engines behind me.

"3!" I shouldn't worry about this. This is just a normal touge but with a professional racer.

"2!" With or without the driver's eye, I can do this.

"1!" AE86! Let's go!

"Go!"

I pressed hard on the gas and shifted gears, accelerating fast down the hill as I glance at my rear view mirror, seeing the ZZW30 doing the same.

[Kai's Pov]

It has begun. This is similar to my battle against Takumi in his AE86, but this time I won't let this AE86 take the finish line! I pressed hard on the gas, tailing the AE86 Trueno throughout the Nagao pass. Approaching one of the corners with the uncovered gutters, the AE86 in front drove to the inside and used the uncovered gutters to his advantage. Huh, inner wheel lift. You sure know what you're doing, but I don't think that will help you in this battle.

[Ryo's Pov]

I glanced at my rear view mirror and noticed the ZZW30 on my tail, not falling behind. Tch. I have to speed this up or else he will overtake me somewhere. I pressed hard on the gas, speeding up to try and pull away from the ZZW30 chasing me from behind before braking and drifting into the hairpin.

[Kai's Pov]

I braked as well and began drifting into the hairpin, leaving the hairpin with the AE86 in front slowly pulling away. Huh, his pace has changed. Time to step it up! I pressed hard on the gas, following the same pace as the AE86 Trueno in front.

[Go Hojo's Pov]

I was waiting with Eiji Kubo for the AE86 and ZZW30 to pass when a familiar car arrived, pulling by the tea shop. A Nissan Fairlady Z version S pulled by and Ryuji Ikeda stepped outside, walking up to me. "Hey. So this is going to be our next opponent after Project D?" Ikeda asked and I nodded.

"They're as good as Project D, but still amateur in a way. They're good though, with the record of claiming the prefectures claimed by Project D. Let's crush their victory if they manage to win against the Team Katagiri." I stated and finally, sounds of an approaching vehicle was heard from the right. It's the AE86 and ZZW30, and the AE86 is on the lead.

[Ryo's Pov]

Drifting on the corner, I noticed three people standing by the tea shop of Nagao. I didn't pay much attention as I was busy with the race against Kai. Leaving the corner, I glanced at the rear view mirror and saw the ZZW30 not falling behind, but rather gaining up on me. Tch. So this is what professional racers are. He's on my tail, and anytime he can overtake me! Sweating and braking on the corner and drifting, I noticed that there's an upcoming hairpin. This must he the hairpin that Rai is talking about! Approaching the hairpin, I braked and drifted into the hairpin, putting my right inner wheels over the ditch and to the grass.

[Kai's Pov]

Nani? He can't just do that! Leaving the hairpin, the AE86 in front is slowly pulling away. I was sweating, and I pressed hard on the gas, trying to catch up. Braking again for another hairpin, we both drifted and the AE86 is always pulling away at the exit. Let me catch up! Let me overtake you! I pressed hard on the gas before braking and drifting into a corner with the AE86 in front doing the same. My ZZW30 is slowly catching up, but it's not enough! Then all of a sudden, my rear wheels slid too much into the outer lane, making my car spin out.

[Ryo's Pov]

I glanced at the rear view mirror and noticed the ZZW30 spinning out. I pressed hard on the gas, pulling away and leaving the ZZW30 behind.