Chapter 44: Wataru Akiyama, Shomaru rematch

[Ryo's Pov]

"Oh yeah, Ryo. Before we end the vacation, visit me in Shomaru with your AE86. Let's have a battle on the Shomaru pass."

Shomaru, huh. Where is that? I looked to my left where Rai is standing next to me, his facial expression surprised from hearing Wataru.

"Shomaru has the worst road conditions I've driven on so far, and the fact that it rained last night doesn't help with the road conditions with the muddy terrain."

So here I find myself standing by my recently fixed AE86 Trueno by the tea shop of Shomaru. Rai is here with me too. He will he giving me advices as to how I'll be able to win. Wataru left the tea shop and approached us, handing us each a cup of warm tea.

"Here's one for you and you. I challenge you to Shomaru so I can see how much you have improved. It would be a perfect opportunity to ask you this after you got your AE86 fixed, and coincidentally it finished earlier. The truth is, there's no way to overtake in this mountain pass. The roads are tight and worn down, and the road conditions vary depending on the weather. Since it rained last night, the roads haven't dried up fully. There will be mud on the road, so be careful. I'll be taking the lead. Good luck." Wataru stated before heading to his AE86 Levin and heading inside.

I drank my tea before giving the empty cup to Rai and heading in my AE86 Trueno. I turned my car on and lowered my car window, looking at Rai.

"You've been waiting for my advices, huh. Alright, here's what I can give you. The roads are worn out, and worsened by the mud from the rain last night. Since he's taking the lead, you'll need to rely on your skills. You'll be watching him from behind throughout most of the race. Try to remain as close to him as possible. When he somehow makes a mistake from the mud on the road, that's the only way you will be able to overtake him. Good luck." Rai explained and I brought the window back up before revving my car's engine.

This is it. A rematch against Aki's trainer. Let's do this. Rai stepped forward and began the countdown.

"5!"

"4!"

"3!"

"2!"

"1!"

"Go!"

I pressed hard on the gas, shifting gears as the AE86 Levin in front does the same.

[Wataru's Pov]

Here we go. Hopefully nothing goes wrong with the battle against Ryo. I got the roads of Shomaru in my head, but the rain from last night doesn't help. There are a lot of things that will go wrong on this battle. I just need to remain focused, and reach the goal while on the lead.

[Joshima's Pov]

Here I am standing by the front door of Ryo's house, waiting for him to return home with the AE86. I've been here for too long now, and it seems something is taking him long. Then out of nowhere, my phone began to rang and I pulled it out from my pocket before answering it. "Hello Rai, have you seen Ryo? He hasn't arrived home yet with the AE86." I asked, worried for Ryo.

"Don't worry sir, Ryo is just having a race with Wataru on Shomaru pass. I'm with him. I'll call you back when Ryo and Wataru returns from their battle." Rai hang up and I returned my phone back to my pocket. The front door then opened and Aki peeked. "Was it Ryo who you just talked to?" He asked and I sighed before shaking my head.

"It's Rai, and he told me that Ryo is having a battle on Shomaru with your trainer. Don't worry, I'm sure that he will be just fine." I stated and Aki returned back inside, closing the front door slowly.

Hopefully nothing bad happens.

[Ryo's Pov]

We're already on the third section of the mountain pass, and I'm having troubles with the road. The AE86 Levin in front seems to be on the same boat, and same pace as mine. He's struggling with the road conditions, and the sudden twists and turns of each corners of this Shomaru pass. I have to be focused though, or else I'll make a mistake and possibly crash my car on the guard rail or hit the wall. I'm surprised with my skills so far. I'm tackling these worn out roads professionally. It seems I'm getting better and better without my Driver's eye.

I kept my eye on the AE86 Levin in front, watching it's every move as I chase it from behind. He needs to make a mistake, or else I won't be able to overtake him from this tight roads. Entering a tight corner, I noticed that the AE86 Levin is going in too fast. This might be my chance!

[Wataru's Pov]

I braked and tried to turn left, and that's when I realized I made a mistake. This part of the mountain pass is severely ruined by the mud on the road! It's too slippery because of the wet mud! I braked hard, trying to gain control and preventing my car from understeering when I noticed that the AE86 Trueno drove past me from the inside of the corner. He managed to overtake me by braking and taking the inside lane instead of going to the outside lane to drift into the tight corner.

[Ryo's Pov]

Here goes! I turned into the tight corner on the inner lane, leaving the AE86 Levin behind me. I pressed hard on the gas afterwards, gaining distance away from the AE86 Levin.

I got the lead!

[Rai's Pov]

Here on my seat, I sat here, staring at the trees of the mountain pass as I wait for the two to return when I got a phone call. I brought my phone out of my jacket's pocket and took the call.

"Hello?"

"Rai! I won!"