Chapter 9: The Tofu Guy

[Aki's Pov]

The afternoon before the race between me and the two random insulting guys. Ryo was in the cafe while I was here checking the engine of my AE86 Levin when someone approached me and tapped my shoulder. I turned around and saw a guy in green t-shirt, his eyes sparkling at the sight of my car and gaping.

"Woah, is that an AE86 Levin?! Cool!" He exclaimed before looking at me and yelping in surprise. "A Cinderace?! You're the driver of this car?!"

What is going on? I was so flustered that I just nodded at him. He chuckled and smiled at me before nodding. "My name is Itsuki Takeuchi, I'm a driver of an AE85 Levin and a member of Akina SpeedStars. I can't believe I'll be seeing a Pokemon drive one of my favorite cars, more so a Cinderace. What's your name?"

"Aki."

"That reminds me of a name that Takumi told me about way back then. Anywho, let's have a race here!" He stated and I nodded before stepping in my car and parking the car by the road with his car close to mine on the other lane.

"You go first, and I'll be the chaser! I won't hold back on you!"

I immediately started the engine and shifted the gear up while pressing hard on the gas, starting the race. I glanced at the rear mirror and saw the AE85 not yet starting, it's giving me a headstart!

[Ryo's Pov]

I was fast asleep, catching some sleep on the cafe's table with my head and arms resting when I was awoken by someone else. "A Lucario?" He asked and I looked up before rubbing my eyes. "Hi." I greeted and he greeted back. I looked closely at him. He has brown hair and brown eyes, and he looks young. I wonder what he needs from me.

[Aki's Pov]

I glanced at my rear mirror and saw him following behind. He's finally tailing me! I braked and drifted as soon as I entered the turn. I glanced again and he's still behind me. I can't believe I'll be racing against a member of a local racing team!

[Ryo's Pov]

He's staring at me, his eyes fixated on me. What is he doing? Is he a creep? He raised an eyebrow and nodded.

"I guess you're one of those special ones huh. It's rare to see people and Pokemon these days to not know about me, even with my name around Gunma. Whenever I walk by, everyone's staring at me, and some with their mouth opened. Whenever I try to deliver tofu, there's always my fans waiting for us in the tofu store. Are you sure you don't know me, like anything at all?"

I shook my head, being clueless.

"Then it's nice meeting you," He reached out for my paw and shook it. "My name's Takumi Fujiwara. I'm one of the ace of Project D."

W-Wait, Project D?

"I'm Ryo. You're being mentioned to me by one of my friends, yet I don't know any about you. It's nice meeting you too, what's Project D?"

[Aki's Pov]

I passed the finish line, now in 2nd lap when I glanced on my rear mirror and saw the AE85 beside me, about to overtake me. Hmph! I won't let you pass! I pressed hard on the gas and shifted the gear to 5, trying to gain distance away from the AE85.

[Ryo's Pov]

"Project D is a racing team created by my mentor, Ryosuke Takahashi, with the purpose of taking the best drivers in the Gunma Area, and traveling to challenge other teams in various prefectures." He explained and I tilted my head.

"If you're a racer, what's the car that you drive?" I asked and he smiled.

"I'm driving a panda Trueno AE86." My eyes widened when he mentioned the same car that I use. I didn't know he's driving an AE86 too! "It's not just a Trueno AE86, but it's sometimes modified in some occasions. Although mostly returned to normal by my tool guy."

M-Modified?! This guy is a legend!

He looked at me and tilted his head. "You're gaping, it seems you reacted when I said that I own a panda Trueno AE86. Do you drive?" He asked and I nodded. "What car do you drive?"

"The same as yours." I said and he smiled. "I'd like to battle you someday. I'll be going now." He stated before walking out of the cafe with all of the people inside looking at him as he leaves. I can't believe that I'll be meeting the Takumi they're talking about, more so he wants to race with me.

[Aki's Pov]

I reached the finish line first and won the race. I parked my car by the coffee shop and the AE85 came second before parking beside me. I stepped out of my car and saw him gaping. "You drive so fast!" He exclaimed before being patted by someone behind him. A brown haired guy and young. Takumi Fujiwara?!

"Itsuki, I was looking for you everywhere. Where have you been?"

"I was having a race with Aki." Takumi looked at me, then looked my car and his eyes widened. "This is Wataru's Levin. Is he your trainer?" He asked and I nodded.

"I didn't know Wataru take cares of a Cinderace. It's nice meeting you Aki, I'm Takumi Fujiwara. I have a feeling we'll be racing soon." He stated before stepping inside of Itsuki's AE85 and driving off. Ryo then went out of the coffee shop and approached me, holding onto my shoulders. "You're not going to believe who I just saw!"

Too late buddy, I also saw him on his way out of the coffee shop.

He'll be racing against me soon, but when?