Chapter 4: Wataru Akiyama

[Ryo's Pov]

Now where was I? I'm with Aki's trainer right now at the bottom of Mt. Akina. I told him to allow Aki to race against other racers, and he'll allow him in one condition. If I beat his trainer, he'll get to race.

All of this happened just after our race, I went to the Coffee shop nearby and ordered a coffee. I sat on the stool as I wait for my coffee, my car parked outside when Aki suddenly rushed in and called me. "Ryo! I need your help!"

I turned around to look at him and there I saw him sweating, panting. "What is it?"

"Someone challenged me to an Akina downhill race!"

My eyes widened in surprise. Aki being challenged by a racer? "Who's this challenger?" I asked in curiosity.

"It's a Zeraora named Rai. He's racing on a white Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VI. He thought I was the one driving my Levin AE86 that night! I tried explaining it to him, but he keeps on insisting and now we're going to race this Friday night!"

Now that's terrible. "Have you told this to your trainer?"

"Not yet..."

We went to his trainer and told him about it, and that's how I got here. Tonight will be a different one. I was looking at my car's engine with the hood up when Aki's trainer approached me with a glare in his eyes. I immediately closed the hood of my car and looked at him, expecting something.

"So, where's Aki?" I asked and his trainer shook his head.

"I told him to not come, because this race isn't that important to him."

Isn't that important? You just told me hours ago about giving Aki permission to race against others if I win this race!

"Enough talk. I'm Wataru Akiyama, trainer of Aki and driver of my AE86 Turbo. I may be adjusting my skills to you, but I won't hold back til the finish line!"

Wataru Akiyama? "I'm Ryo."

"Good, let's begin the race." He stated before heading back to his car and stepping inside. I went back in my car and now just realized something different. We're racing uphill! Tch! Whatever the case, I have to win this. Suddenly, a man walked in front and began counting down.

"5!" I started the engine with the handbrake pulled up and I stepping on the gas.

"4!" I glanced at my right to check Wataru, and there he's looking at me, his hands on the steering wheel.

"3!" Both engines can be heard revving for the race, gaining power.

"2! 1! Go!" I immediately pushed down the handbrake and shifted the gear up with my foot paw pressing hard on the gas. I shifted another with the gear being 3, Wataru now being behind me and I taking the lead.

[Wataru's Pov]

Hmph! This is an uphill battle, your Trueno is no match for my Turbo! I'll be letting you take the lead, but I'll eventually overtake you early on! After the turns we're now approaching the first hairpin, and it's the best time to attack! With the Trueno in front, I pressed hard on the gear on 5, overtaking it easily and now taking the lead.

[Ryo's Pov]

I took a glanced on my right and there I saw Wataru's Levin overtaking me! Nani?! Shimata! I'm having a hard time catching up with him! His car's fast, but there's we're approaching a hairpin, isn't he going to brake? With us both entering the hairpin, we braked and something struck my mind. The way he braked, he did it too hard! I steered and we both drifted at the hairpin. He's losing speed in hairpins, and that's my time to attack!

[Wataru's Pov]

Both leaving the hairpin, I noticed he disappeared from my rear mirror. Couldn't he be--? I glanced at my left and there I saw him slowing overtaking me! Masaka! My Turbo is supposed to outrun him, but what's going on?! Soon Ryo's Trueno overtook me and now on the lead with the gap not being that far. The distance isn't too far yet, I can catch up with him! Steering on the corner and now gaining distance on him, I steered on the next corner and I flinched.

The Trueno is gaining distance again?! That's when I realized what's going on. He's gaining up on hairpins, and we're at the five hairpins! I drifted the hairpins like I always do, and I was shocked when his car suddenly disappeared from my front! Leaving the hairpins, I saw Ryo's AE86 being far ahead of me and gaining more distance. What on Earth is going on?!

For a Lucario like him to drive like that, it's giving me chills. I should be able to catch up on him on this straight, or else I'll lose!

[Ryo's Pov]

I looked at my rear mirror and couldn't see Wataru's Levin, he must've disappeared from the hairpins. Hmph! He's taking me way too easily, and because of that I will win the race easily! Entering the hairpin, I braked and drifted before leaving. I took a glance on my rear mirror and I was surprised. Wataru's Levin is approaching me again, rather faster than before.

[Wataru's Pov]

Time to take it serious, I have to overtake him once more. At the end, the decision will be relying if he's able to overtake me or not. I pressed harder on the gas and managed to approach the bumper of his car before overtaking him, approaching the next hairpin fast.

[Ryo's Pov]

No way! He overtook me again, and he's accelerating much faster than before. I have to catch up with him, but how? He braked and entered the hairpin in a drift, but something isn't right. He's still slow at hairpins, but he's fast at straights. I braked and entered the hairpin, drifting with Wataru not far from him. I have to catch up!

[Wataru's Pov]

I glanced at my rear mirror and was shocked when the Trueno AE86 was suddenly behind me, tailing me. With his speed being as similar as mine, I can't slow down on these corners or else he'll catch up!

[Ryo's Pov]

He isn't slowing down at all, might as well follow him to the corners and hairpins. Steering left and right, then vice versa, we left the corners and now approaching the hairpin. We both braked and drifted into the hairpin, his car skidding off the inner lane to the outer lane as I conquer the inner lane. We both left the hairpin neck to neck followed by another hairpin. I braked to let him enter first, following him behind and drifting on the hairpin.

He's losing speed, and this'll be my turn! I overtook him in the hairpin and we both left it with him being behind me.

[Wataru's Pov]

Masaka! He just overtook me! He finally noticed the full potential of his car, or the engine I placed in as a replacement. The engine is as powerful as mine, but he beat me on the hairpins.

I'll want a rematch soon... In my home.