Chapter 6

Lan Wangji wanted to watch Wei Ying having what he could only name as time of his life for a lot longer, the two hours they had spent already in the bunny field were definitely not enough. He wanted to carry on like this for the whole day. No, even that would not be enough. He would like to stay like this until his days would come to an end, for a whole eternity, though that was of course not possible.

He had not forgotten that he still had to carry on with his day and that he had wanted to let Wei Ying rest. This morning had not been an easy one for him and he had had a fever yesterday. If Lan Wangji was not careful, the boy's sickness could come back because of not taking care of himself properly. It was more than clear to him that if he would not suggest to Wei Ying to go rest, the other would definitely push himself too much and his fever would come back for real. That would be very regrettable.

Moreover, there were still some misunderstandings to be cleared up. Lan Wangji had to let Jiang Yanli talk to her brother for both hers and Wei Ying's sakes. It did not seem like the boy had understood properly what his role was here and also that he would not have to go back to the Lotus Pier Manor ever again. Lan Wangji did not want to make the same mistake in assuming that explaining everything once would persuade Wei Ying to believe them just like that.

Yes, he should still continue carry out his plan from this morning, before he and Wei Ying had been all but ambushed in front of the infirmary. Back then, he had wanted for the boy to just have a very leisurely day in the library. He had to smile himself when he remembered how Wei Ying's eyes had been sparkling when he had first brought him there. Reading seemed to have been something the boy liked although he was probably hardly ever allowed to indulge in this pass-time.

Or in any free time activity really as Lan Wangji had understood Wei Ying had never been so free so he would be able to do anything aside for his servant duties. That was extremely pitiful and he was determined to change this fact and let the boy have all the free time he could want. After all, what would be the point of Wei Ying being his companion if he would not be able to enjoy the life Lan Wangji himself had?

Not that he did not have any duties, but those mainly consisted of studying hard and preparing for his future as the aid of the next head of his family, his brother. Since he was not the heir and was not expected to lead the household, only help with this task, his education was somewhat less strict than Lan Xichen's. Not that he would ever slack off but the burden on his shoulders and the expectation which came with it were definitely lower and easier to bear.

He did not complain. On the contrary, most of the time, he was actually glad that he would not have to take on the task of the next family head. With his personality and his painfully clear lack of communication skills, he was afraid that he would lead the family to ruins. Despite his numerous extensive lessons on politics, he would not be able to navigate the life at the emperor's court and maintain peaceful relationships with other noble families, not for the life of him. Lan Xichen was very much more suited for that role.

Of course, Lan Wangji always studied hard so he would be able to assist his brother in the future. He had long decided he would do his best to alleviate the burden on Lan Xichen's shoulders. But he knew that the Lans needed a different personality to lead them than his own.

In some other noble families, such as the Jins or the Wens, fights for power and inheritance often took place between siblings, but he could personally not understand that at all. He respected his brother very much and knew he was better for the job. He did not need a noble title of the head of the household if it meant the Lan family would not prosper.

No, he would leave the politics to his brother and study hard to support him. That was why, he actually had a lot of free time outside of his lessons on the six arts and gentlemanly behaviour. He usually used them to study on his own and read advanced books to discover the world. He only hardly ever left the Cloud Recesses Manor and he deemed it necessary to also learn about the outside world.

However, now, he would instead use his free time to spent it with Wei Ying and help him relax and recover. He wanted to show him the world that he had probably never been allowed to even glance at, or if he had, it had been back when he had been just a child and had still been treated as a young master of the Lotus Pier Manor.

It had been so long ago that Lan Wangji was not sure Wei Ying even remembered those times. Or, and it was even more likely which saddened Lan Wangji greatly, the boy did most probably not want to recall anything from those times as it was too painful to compare with his current situation. Lan Wangji was determined to change this.

He gave himself several more minutes to admire the picture of utter peace and happiness in front of him. He knew that soon enough, he would get to see another one, only in a different setting, in the library. But still, he could not help himself but to want to remember the sight and to burn that small smile on Wei Ying's face deep into his memory.

Then, he stood up, still a little regretful that he had to end this moment. He watched as Wei Ying immediately became alert and stopped petting A-Yuan's hair. He suddenly regretted not saying anything before moving, he must have surprised the boy, if not outright scared him. There was tension in Wei Ying's body and he did not like it.

He could not see any visible signs that Wei Ying was observing him, the boy's head remained lowered just like before. But Lan Wangji knew him well enough by now. He could pretty well guess that the other was observing him carefully from between his bangs and waiting for his next move.

Ever so gently, quietly and calmly, Lan Wangji prompted him: "Come, we should go."

Wei Ying stood up with A-Yuan in his arms and seemed at a complete loss about what to do. He looked once again scared out of his mind and his body became even tenser, he also started to shake like a leaf. This was no good, Lan Wangji had greatly miscalculated and now he was at a loss about how to calm Wei Ying down and reassure him that he had done nothing wrong.