Chapter 119

Wei Wuxian's mind was in utter mess. Not that it did not happen often with his tendency to overthink everything and imagine all of the worst case scenarios and infractions he could commit even before anything actually happened. However, this time, everything was different. His thoughts were not going around and scaring him out of his mind – although they still were, just a little, if he had to be sincere about this – they were instead making him impossibly excited.

Once Lan Wangji confirmed for him that Lan Qiren's words were the truth and the elder was not trying to catch him off guard, his mind just decided that all the thoughts and hopes about a better future which he had been supressing for so long should come out all at once. They flooded him like a tsunami, completely sweeping him off his feet and leaving him floating in the middle of everything. It was overwhelming but at the same, it was the best feeling ever.

Wei Wuxian could really not believe his luck. Just three days ago, he had been crying his eyes out, his face buried in his hands, and begging Jiang Yanli to not be send to the Nightless City Manor. And here he was, just days later, with an offer of help and a promise of a better future. This was something which would probably take him a while to process. It was too much for his poor heart and mind at the moment.

He was feeling like he was floating in the sky and would never be able to come back down. This image should have been terrifying, he had no means to know what laid before him. However, he was not scared. He could feel Lan Wangji's hand on his forearm and it was as if his master was his lifeline, the anchor which would never let him drift away and get lost in the endless sky. He knew Lan Wangji would stand by his side even in the worst storm and would help him not get lost in all of these turbulent changes.

Yes, all of his previous fear and anxiety were now replaced with an ocean of gratitude and happiness. For the first time in who knew how long, perhaps ever since the moment Jiang Fengmian had picked him up from the streets, he was looking forward to the future.

Sure, he should perhaps be wary of extended helping hands and sweet promises which could be oh so easily broken, but he was not. Even though the last time he had been hopeful of the future, he had been put into his place immediately, he was not afraid it would happen again. Not this time. Not when it was the Lans who had offered him a sanctuary and let him hope for a better life. He could not phantom them going back on their words, especially not Lan Wangji.

With this master by his side, Wei Wuxian was full of excitement and he was feeling strong. He was truly convinced that it was alright to hope now. It was safe, his master had after all promised to protect him at all times. A favour that Wei Wuxian was ready to reciprocate at any given moment.

He was interrupted in his thoughts by Lan Qiren clearing his throat and reminding them: "Well, that is all I wanted to say. You should now go to your lessons, you do not want to be late, do you?"

Wei Wuxian stared at the elder with bewilderment. Of course, Lan Qiren had said that he would let him study again, but he had thought it had been just a courtesy and that he would at most be allowed to go freely to the library and read all the books he wanted. Which would have already been something incredible to him and more than he would ever be able to repay.

However, it seemed like Lan Qiren was suggesting he should actually really go to attend lessons with Lan Wangji. And right now, no less. He stood there frozen for a second. This was truly way too much for him to process. He would need more time to come to terms with everything.

No! There was no time, his master wanted to allow him to go take lessons, just as he had had once upon the time in the Lotus Pier Manor. Back then, he had loved studying and the simple prospects of being allowed to continue learning new and exciting things was leaving him utterly out of breath and excited beyond belief. He was a little embarrassed for such a strong reaction, but he could just not stop himself. This was truly too good to be true.

Not wanting Lan Qiren to reconsider giving him tis privilege, Wei Wuxian quickly bowed to him to thank him. He was sorry he could not do anything more, however, Lan Wangji's hand on his own served as a reminder that his master did not want him to be kowtowing in gratitude. But a single bow should still be fine hopefully.

He did not wait for any prompting and stood up after a second. He was very conscious of the fact that Lan Wangji was by his side and he did not want to be reminded by him again because of going against his wishes. He had shown his gratitude and now he could only wish Lan Qiren had understood his intentions.

Before he could do anything more, he noticed that Lan Wangji was looking at him. He instinctively turned his head and got his breath stolen away from him. His heart even skipped several beats when he saw his master smiling at him. It was the biggest and prettiest smile he had ever seen on Lan Wangji's lips and his brain was screaming at him something about having to remember it. But Wei Wuxian could only stare blankly.

When his master took his hand into his own and started leading him somewhere, Wei Wuxian followed him without a second thought. If it was Lan Wangji, he would go with him to the ends of the earth and back without a single word of complaint. After all, it had been his master who had opened a new path up ahead and was now accompanying him to that bright future that had opened up before him. Wei Wuxian was looking forward to every single step he would be allowed to take on this bright and broad road.

It seemed like everything Wei Wuxian had ever dreamed about was suddenly within his reach. He did not know what to do, it was just too sudden and he had not been given any time to think about all the consequences and all things which could go wrong. He had no time to digest anything and neither to start doubting.

It felt like he had just been offered a completely new life. He still remembered how great it felt to satisfy his curiosity and be able to always learn something new. For someone who had been living on the streets, only fighting for survival all the time, those days had still seemed like a gift from the heavens. And he was being given another opportunity to experience this feeling. He sure was lucky, was he not?

Lan Wangji's steps slowed down until a stop. Wei Wuxian looked around, not minding keeping his head high and observing his surroundings. He saw that they had arrived to a part of the mansion where he had not yet been and were standing in front of a massive looking wooden door. It seemed they have arrived to where the lessons were taking place.

It was only now that the whole situation finally drowned on him. This really was a beginning of a new life for him. The Lans truly wanted to be kind to him and help him. He was finally allowed to have a little space for himself where he would feel safe and secure and where he would be able to relax.

Just yesterday, such thoughts would have been laughable to him at the very least, more like a fairy tale really. Not anymore thought. Everyone was doing their best and trying to accommodate him. Wei Wuxian should show them that he was grateful for their kindness by accepting it and being happy.

Lan Wangji squeezed his hand and reassured: "Everything will be alright now, Wei Ying."

Yes, it definitely would, Wei Wuxian believed that with all his might. Somehow, the future was suddenly not scary anymore with all the people around him. This truly was a start of a new life for him. 

A hopeful ending at last. I know it had been a slow torture more times than not, but that you so much for persisting and reading until this point. I would not have been able to finish this mammoth piece of work without all your support and engagement! I hope the story fulfilled its purpose and made you see the true virtue and necessity of communication :)

I chose to end the story here as it was a great climax with Wei Wuxian finally believing there was a better future ahead of him. I know I still did not satisfy your curiosity about the punishment for the Jiangs and about the development of the relationship between the two main protagonists.

As I feel responsible for not arriving to the final ending of the story (and I did not want to have to squeeze everything in just a few chapters) I decided to write another sequel. If you still feel motivated and are not bored with the slow progress of the storyline, please keep an eye on it once it comes out.

If you feel like it; I would be happy to hear what you thought about the whole story. With this, one more big thanks to all of you and I wish you a pleasant night/day :)