Chapter 25

"I know I need to change the way I approach him. I will rely on your guidance."

Hearing those words said by Lan Qiren, Lan Xichen's mouth fell open in shock. He would have never expected that his uncle would ever admit something like this. It would have been more probable for him to go and try search knowledge in books instead of admitting in front of him or Lan Wangji that he did not know something and wanted to learn from them.

It was just showing how shaken Lan Qiren was because of discovering everything related to Wei Wuxian this quickly. It had been a shock for everyone, but his uncle seemed to take the hardest hit.

And Lan Xichen could not blame him. His uncle and Jiang Fengmian had been friends ever since they had studied together and Lan Qiren believed the other almost unconditionally. The fact that for more than a decade, Jiang Fengmian had been playing with his trust and betraying the country must have truly been a terrible discovery. He must be feeling like a fool for ever believing in him and even standing up to defend him during the trial at the end of the war. They had all believed back then that Jiang Fengmian had been coerced into inactivity during the Sunshot campaign because his son whad been held a hostage by Wen Ruohan.

Lan Xichen was not sure why his uncle was suddenly this interested in mending his relationship with Wei Wuxian though. He could understand that he wanted to put Jiang Fengmian to another trial and finally let him pay for his pretences and crimes, for all the lost trust and betrayal, but he had no idea how Wei Wuxian was fitting in that picture.

Could it be that his uncle who had been so adamant against the boy coming to the Cloud Recesses Manor and who had warned both his nephews to not get close to a troublemaker whom Wei Wuxian had been in his eyes, had completely changed his perception of the boy? Sure, they had all been shaken first by Jiang Yanli's narration of Wei Wuxian's past and then by Su Minshan's hideous behaviour. But still, it would not justify Lan Qiren wanting to get closer to the boy. Unless...

Lan Xichen closed his mouth and studied his uncle attentively. It did not even take a second for him to realize that Lan Qiren was feeling guilty for some reason. Why was that, it was beyond Lan Xichen's understanding. It was not like anyone could have helped Wei Wuxian earlier since no one knew about his struggles and the abuse he had been subjected to. Well, at least no one from their family.

It was only then that Lan Xichen realized there could be another reason for Lan Qiren's guilty conscience. He had not treated Wei Wuxian the best when the boy had just arrived and had been strict with him. Could it be that he was reflecting on his past behaviour and his preconceptions and wanting to change? Lan Xichen had to smile to himself, if this was the case, that would be great news. Wei Wuxian needed all the support he could get and if Lan Qiren was ready not only to tolerate him but assist in his recovery, all that better.

He gave his uncle a reassuring smile. If Lan Qiren had decided to let go of his pride and ask him for advice, who was Lan Xichen to not oblige? He was already happy for Wei Wuxian for once his uncle had decided he liked someone, he doted on them and protected them like his own flesh and blood.

"Uncle, I understand," he said solemnly but at the same time with a lot of dedication, "I am happy for both you and Young Master Wei. I am sure he could use as much support and reassurance as he can get to recover and start trusting us.

You must have also noticed that he is still not entirely convinced that we will not betray him and that he will be allowed to stay in the Cloud Recesses Manor and not be send back to the Jiangs. We needed to get him out of his subservient and deferential habits and have him realize that he will not be treated as a servant anymore. His recovery has already started with Wangji; I do not know how exactly brother does it, but Young Master Wei definitely seems relaxed in his company and dares to break some of the rules his adoptive family made him obey. I believe this would be beneficial to both of them.

However, it may be a bit harder for you to approach Young Master Wei. As you said, you had not exactly started on good terms. You will first have to gain his trust again. Not that I believe he trust Wangji or me fully, but in your case, I am sorry to say it, he might have even deeper trust issues."

Lan Xichen saw how the wrinkle between Lan Qiren's eyebrows became even deeper and how his uncle's gaze fell from looking at him to staring at the table between them. He seemed very apologetic all of a sudden and Lan Xichen could tell that he truly regretted his previous treatment of Wei Wuxian. It must have taken a lot of courage and determination to ask for Lan Xichen's advice. And now, with his negative words, Lan Qiren probably thought that there was no hope for him.

"That is to say," he quickly continued so he could help his uncle regain at least a little bit of his usual confidence, "I do not think it is impossible to change your relationship with Young Master Wei."

This seemed to draw Lan Qiren's full attention back to him. The hopeful expression on his face was reminding Lan Xichen of a much younger person being told they had a bright future ahead of them. He liked this change. No nephew or son would of course like to see their parent – for Lan Qiren was a parent to Lan Xichen and Lan Wangji in all but blood connection – look so depressed and lost.

He widened his reassuring smile and continued with confidence: "Although I can only give you some generic advice, I will do my very best. You will still have to figure how best to approach Young Master Wei on your own."

Lan Xichen's voice now changed into a very matter-of-fact tone as he started all but lecturing his uncle how he should treat Wei Wuxian in the future: "Be patient and understanding. Do not assume the other party understood you and always check if they did not interpret your words differently than you have intended them. Do not be overly strict and provide space. Be gentle and show respect. Provide protection but do not be whelming. Do not be unjust, show leniency when appropriate. Show love and forgiveness to those deserving them."

Most of these directions were the ones that Lan Qiren had thought him himself while having him memorise the rules of the Cloud Recesses Manor. Those were set long ago by the ancestors from the Lan family and were since passed down to every generation and honoured. It was only that reciting and memorising them was one thing, but applying them while interacting with abused servants was another matter entirely. Lan Qiren would need to find for himself how he should abide by them in this kind of situation.

Lan Xichen was actually a little sorry, but he still had to add one last advice: "And, especially in your case Uncle, it would be best if you would only interact with Young Master Wei while me, Wangji or Maiden Jiang are around. It is not that I doubt your intentions but at least in the beginning, Young Master Wei may and it would be harder for you to convince him that he can trust you."

He looked at Lan Qiren and saw that his uncle was now nodding his head slowly while stroking his beard. It seemed like he was not angry with Lan Xichen's lecture and was instead thinking how to best apply it. Or at least that was how it looked to Lan Xichen. He was glad that Lan Qiren had finally come around and that Wei Wuxian had gained a powerful protector in him.