Chapter 110

Wei Wuxian was still in a state of almost complete panic when he felt someone touching his shoulders. It was so unexpected he froze on the spot, he even stopped breathing for a second there. And then, the realization downed on him, despite everything, he did not flinch away by instinct. That was something he would have never believed was possible, not after all the times when he had been caught off guard by someone sneaking up to him and more often than not hurting him in one way or another.

But right now, the most amazing thing was that he actually realized he was in the Cloud Recesses Manor and that his masters would not hurt him in the same way as all his previous ones had had. At worst, Lan Qiren would scold him, berate him for his infractions and tell him he did not want him to be in the Cloud Recesses Manor anymore. While hearing that would undoubtedly be very painful, Wei Wuxian wholeheartedly believed that he would not be hurt physically.

Even in the midst of his panic and despair, his mind somehow realized these facts and he did not flinch away from the palms which landed with care on his shoulders. He was only more greatly reassured when those hands did nothing to even grip him harshly and instead, started rubbing his shoulders in soothing motions.

Finally, he could breathe again and his mind was slowly starting to come out of its stupor. His panic receded a little bit as well, the touch was grounding and he was happy for it. Even though it could have very well been the last kindness he was about to feel before Lan Qiren's scolding started and everything Wei Wuxian dared to believe would crumble to dust. He just wanted to let himself be comforted for a moment; it would definitely make everything that was coming so much easier to bear when he knew there was at least one person who still cared about him enough to want to be nice to him.

It was then that he at last glanced at the person who was standing opposite to him. He did not need to do so; he had already known it was Jiang Yanli. Although his first thought had been that it had been Lan Wangji, his master's hands were larger. But it was fine, Wei Wuxian was not disappointed. He could feel Lan Wangji looking at him intently and that was enough for him to know he was not forgotten by his master either.

As if Jiang Yanli wanted to comfort him even more and coax him away from his fears, she offered a sweet reassurance: "A-Xian, it is fine. Everything is fine. Please do not be afraid. Master Lan do not want to punish you or scold you. He truly only wishes to speak with you."

Oh, how Wei Wuxian had longed to hear such words. He had known the Lans would not punish him, at least not physically, he was sure Lan Wangji would try to stop his family if they ever tried. It was like music to his ears and he let himself relax ever so slightly. True, his fears had been mostly unfounded, but he still could not help himself but to expect the worst. He had never had good luck with these kinds of things. Even now, he still could not let himself believe that Lan Qiren was not about to scold him and make life difficult for Lan Wangji because of stepping up for him.

His sister was so kind and sweet, she had always stood by his side whenever he was in a pinch with their family. It felt incredible knowing she still cared about him despite everything that it had abought her. Wei Wuxian was truly thankful to the Lans for allowing her to stay in the Cloud Recesses Manor.

However, this though invited all his fears back. What if after Jiang Yanli's intervention, Lan Qiren would decide he did not want to let her stay any longer? Wei Wuxian would not be able to bear the thought he had once again been the reason for his sister's pain. The hands rubbing his shoulders suddenly felt accusing.

Before he could hide himself away from his guilty conscience and draw back from the touch, Lan Qiren spoke, surprizing him so much he was frozen to the spot yet again: "Yes, that is correct, Wei Wuxian. I just wanted to talk to you. Stand up, you are not a servant to be bowing like this."

No, this was impossible. Wei Wuxian had an urge to shake his head so he would confirm that he had only imagined what his master had just said. He could not believe that Lan Qiren would speak this softly to him, even going as far as confirming Jiang Yanli's previous words.

However, what if it could be true by any chance? Was Wei Wuxian not losing a chance to be good and stay in the Cloud Recesses for longer? What if Lan Qiren truly only wanted to talk to him and the scolding would not come at this time?

Wei Wuxian felt like he was riding a rollercoaster, with plenty of ups and downs and sharp curves where he could not see the road ahead of him at all. But it was not scary, it was actually letting him hope that what would be behind that next curve would be something good. Lan Qiren did not even seem so scary anymore when he was speaking directly to his heart and promising everything he had ever wanted.

"Wei Wuxian, you did nothing wrong. There is no reason to give you any punishment. Now, please, do not bow anymore, I only want to speak with you."

As if his master wanted to confirm Wei Wuxian's innermost thoughts, he had to say something like this! And he had asked him to not bow anymore as well! Just what had happened to the elder? Had Lan Qiren not been supposed to be scolding him harshly already and sending him back to the Lotus Pier Manor for being a burden, a troublemaker and the lowliest of the lowly servants? This truly seemed too good to be true.

To make things even more awkward for him, he felt Jiang Yanli gently trying to push him up from his bow, as if obeying Lan Qiren's words. True, had his master not said it twice to stand up? What if Wei Wuxian was angering him by not listening to him? That would simply not do. Now that Lan Qiren said he wanted to talk while Wei Wuxian would be standing up, he could not disappoint him.

Slowly, he rose from the bow. He still remained hunched into himself, protecting the most vulnerable parts of him including his heart, and he fixed the floor with determination. The shaking which had been wracking his body until now finally subsided. He had no way of knowing what was coming next, but he also knew there was no use getting all tense and anxious about it. In any case, he would not be able to influence it in any way at all. He was prepared for anything.