Part 10

Both Flos and Rhythm have never read a map before, nor do they know the road, so they currently are not aware that the escort Knight has taken a detour to the Capital to steer clear from the vicinity of the new variant beast sighted close to the City. The escort Knight is aware the esteemed guests can fight the variant beasts; but they are still the citizens he should be protecting, not fight side by side.

As much as possible, the escort Knight does not want a repeat of the previous incident, of putting the esteemed guests in danger because of his inadequacy.

To get to the Capital on time, the escort Knight thinks he has to speed up for a bit. Hopefully, the esteemed guests won't mind that.

And to be honest, Flos does not have any opinion on that. She doesn't feel it as the speed of the carriage increases because she is asleep. Rhythm can feel it, but he doesn't think much of the reason for that. Rhythm is more than amazed by the escort Knight's dedication to maintaining such a speed.

Sometime later, Flos is woken up from the stillness. For some reason, the carriage has stopped on the roadside beside the forest. After rubbing her eyes to clear her sleep, Flos sees nobody inside the carriage with her. Looking out, Flos sees the escort Knight standing guard near the carriage.

Opening the door of the carriage, Flos calls out, "What's the matter? Another attack?"

"No," the escort Knight feels fortunate that is not the case as he responds, "Mister Rhythm asks for a bathroom break. It seems like he has a stomachache,"

Okay then. Flos does not ask more about their current circumstance but tells the Knight, "You don't need to stand there to keep watch, take a seat to converse your energy too,"

"I am okay," the escort Knight shakes his head, "Thank you for your kind offer, Miss Flos. But I must stand guard,"

Flos figures that she should be the 1 going out to stand. Sleeping inside the carriage, although she slept well, still makes her body stiff all over the place. Thinking like that, acting like that. Flos jumps down from the carriage, startling the escort Knight who never expects it.

Flos walks to the side to stretch. When she turns back to talk to the Knight, she sees that the Knight is watching elsewhere, so Flos's question becomes, "Is there something over there?"

"Ah?" the Knight sounds surprised as he turns back to look at the person talking. After a while, it dawns on him her question is for him, so he answers, "Nothing,"

Flos nods, accepting the Knight's words. Back to her original question then, "How long do you think it will take for us to reach the Capital?"

"In a couple of days," the Knight answers with certainty, yet still gives leeway to himself, "If there are no special incidents to delay the journey,"

Special incidents such as the carriage breaking down or an attack from beasts? Flos understands.

In a state of quietness, the 2 of them wait for Rhythm to come back after relieving himself. The wait is a long time.

"Maybe I should go check on Mister Rhythm," more than a little concerned, the Knight suggests to Flos

"Are you sure leaving me alone with the carriage is a good choice?" Flos questions him, without any intention to retain him at all, and asking that question is just to test whether the Knight thinks of her as a girl who needs protecting or a girl with monsters by her side

Apparently, the escort Knight still thinks she is someone who needs protection. Very well, Flos is pleased. So, the prize, "You don't need to worry, Rhythm is fine. Even if there is something wrong with him, he still can protect himself,"