Part 40

In the morning before Flos set off to deliver breakfast to Scale, she has spared a thought to the Devil that she sealed yesterday. It has only been a few hours since then, although a lot of things happened, and Flos has already thrown out all the thoughts about the Devil, as Flos returns to the quiet, big, and gloomy guest house, she is reminded of the case of guest from another layer again.

For an event that only happened a few hours ago, precisely under 24 hours, why does it feel like it has been months since then? What a wondrous phenomenon; such is the passage of time.

Casting aside distractions, From the muddy footprints on the floor, it seems like someone went into the vacant guest house. The footprints are concerning, but Flos leaves it be. Her priority is to her room to grab the item box and then regroup with others at the infirmary.

After Flos grabs her item box, she feels Lashes giving her a warning. It seems like the footprints' destination is the underground where she sealed the Demon. That person wants to go meet the Devil, probably, but is blocked by the barrier set up by Lashes.

Flos looks out the windows. It is still raining hard.

When May-Day also warn her to get away, Flos no longer postpone running out of her room and slams on the door to Rhythm's room, using Lashes to break the door once she finds the door to be locked, and gets into the room, grabbing the giant vase Rhythm's Brothers-in-law made that is left by Rhythm to be given to Her Majesty in a proper occasion.

Flos carries the giant vase on her back with Lashes's help, running to the windows and breaking them open using her item box as she jumps off the balcony.

At the same time Flos lands on the ground unsteadily with May-Day's assistance, the guest house behind her explodes. Flos fails to cover her ears in time, but she still has the sense to curl on the wet ground as darkness descends upon her.

Flos doesn't know how long has passed when she regains her sense within the darkness. She is still enveloped in darkness on the wet ground, but Flos is not scared of the darkness. This darkness comes from May-Day who are protecting her as they change their forms to cover her from the aftereffect of the explosion. Such as the heat of the fire or the debris of the buildings that have been blasted off.

Flos closes her eyes and concentrates, listening to the sound of the rain. Okay, her hearing is back in function. Slowly, Flos touches her front: the item box, the back: the giant vase, the ground: damp from the rain, the top: May-Day's bodies.

Inhaling deeply, Flos then asks May-Day to release her. Thus, Flos is soaked in the rain, again.

The way May-Day releases her is like the flower blooming, although nobody is there to enjoy this magically enchanting scene. Retracting their protection, May-Day go back to stick on Flos's head, like additional ears on her head instead of staying as earrings like before.

Flos grabs the item box and turns back, to look at the scene of a disaster. The remnants of the guest house are everywhere, only missing in her area because May-Day protected her from getting squashed by these heavy rubbles of all sizes.

Her luggage...

The item box is important, but her luggage... Her bank book! Her everything!!

What is the thing that can demolish the guest house into smithers like this?!

Flos wants to go find the person responsible to settle the account, but going there amidst all these ruins under the rain? The motivation to ask for compensation extinguished as quickly as a candle doused under the rain. With a sigh of despair, Flos turns her back to the place that was once a guest house to make her way to the infirmary.