Part 51

After learning that the dog tags are from the variant beasts, Scale understands. The variant beasts that invade the Castle plus the variant beasts wreaking havoc outside, those variant beasts with dog tags in them, are from the same source. Which are the lair Her Majesty has investigated before and the destination of the King's Knights.

From the looks of it, these variant beasts with dog tags are formed artificially and these dog tags are the sign of the creation, with the mark on the dog tag as the clue they need to find the originator.

After all, without a Picky Eater which eats everything of the variant beasts and vomits out the dog tags, nobody would have found out there's something implanted in the bodies of these variant beasts as they dispose of the corpses.

The mark on the dog tags... His investigation on this matter so far... The clues he has... Scale is quite eager to know the result of the King's Knights' expedition. Of course, Scale still wishes for the Knights to prioritise their safety over collecting evidence. Only when people are still safe and sound that they can continue working.

"Scale?" Flos has May-Day out, to stop Picky Eater from capturing her love interest

"Sorry," Scale smiles at Flos, standing up as he turns to look at her, not paying attention to Picky Eater, "These dog tags are important, is it possible for me to take them?" thinking of the corpses of the variant beasts around the gates, Scale also says, "I need to visit the Queen's Knights for a bit. Why don't you go back with Rhythm 1st?"

"Are you sure?" Rhythm is eyeing Picky Eater warily, it is not doing anything now, but Rhythm is not fooled by how it wanted to touch Scale only to be stopped by Flos earlier

"I am sure," Scale nods, looking down at the dog tags, "I need to store them 1st..." oh, Scale looks at Flos, repeating his question, a little sheepish, "Is it okay for me to take them?"

"Go ahead," Flos gives the dog tags to Scale, not having the intention to keep the items at all, "But how are you going to carry this many dog tags?"

Scale thinks about it, looking around. Seeing something, Scale walks in that direction and forcibly tears the curtain to use the cloth to wrap the dog tags. Rhythm gapes at Scale, for his behaviour of causing property damage.

"Is it okay for you to do that?" Flos voices Rhythm's shock, causing her childhood friend to nod rapidly to demonstrate his doubt

"I'll admit my crime to Her Majesty later," Scale laughs as he packs the dog tags, "It is for emergency use," after packing everything, Scale carries the makeshift bag over his shoulder, "Alright, I'm going now. Be careful on your way back,"

"Be careful too," Flos says, thinking about it briefly before holding out her left hand to Scale, "Take Lashes with you, for protection,"

Scale looks at Flos, at her left hand, then nods. Reaching out a hand, Scale accepts Lashes as it moves to curl on his left wrist. After Lashes stops moving, Scale waves at Flos and Rhythm with a smile before leaving them somewhere.

Flos turns to Picky Eater then, waiting for it to revert back to its seed form. After picking up Picky Eater, Flos raises an eyebrow at Rhythm, who scowls at her. It seems like Rhythm has learnt the lesson, since he knows to keep quiet this time.

Although Flos doubts it can last long.

~~~

Fortunately, fortunately.

When Flos and Rhythm go back to the infirmary, Queen Viola is still safe and sound. Flos tells Queen Viola about Scale's decision to go find the Queen's Knights and the Queen decides to ask Scale for the reason after he comes back, because Flos is not too clear about it either.