Creature Comfort

-I'm very hyper focused on Frankenstein...-

"It can't think."

"Maybe he can, he just... needs time...?" Captain marvel proposed, watching the clone crawling around and inspecting his corner across the room.

"It hasn't shown any signs of intelligent life yet." Batman pointed out. "The most we've gotten is mimicry of what it sees us do. It splices actions together, but there's no sign that it understands them, is capable of learning, or has any intent."

"It hasn't spoken, but few infants vocally communicate within their first two days of life." Diana proposed. She didn't appreciate the reaction towards what was, as far as they knew, an innocent creature.

"At least babies cry..." Barry muttered. "I mean-- He might be a nice kid, and he hasn't done anything bad, it's just a little creepy. Not saying we shouldn't be compassionate though. just that it's kinda weird, right? Sorry, the kids have really put me on edge--"

"It's trying to eat itself." Batman said.

Sixteen heads turned to the hulking figure in the corner, using his teeth to tear at the flesh on his hand. He yelped and fell back, hand jerking away.

"It can feel pain."

"Mice can feel pain, but they aren't intelligent life. Neither are they human children." Batman turned away from the mass of cells wrestling itself across the room. He wanted to believe the monster held no malice, but that brought its own issues and ethical dilemmas to the table.

"He's still biting himself." Captain marvel pointed out, not that anyone was listening.

 "That is learning in some sense." Hawkwoman proposed. 

"Yeah; scientific process:" Barry agreed, checking them off on his fingers. "Observe, hypothesis, test, repeat."

She nodded. "Exactly."

"But is that curiosity? We know it was made to be like Superman, presumably it would be made to mimic Superman." Her husband replied.

"If he was made to mimic superman, he is not doing a noticeably good job." Dinah remarked, watching the monster as he  smacked his head, seemingly fascinated with the discomfort it caused.

The creature caught sight of her looking and extended an arm, as if to grasp  her from across the room. Unsure, and painfully aware of the others watching, she offered an uncomfortable wave and forced a smile.

The clone, seemingly stimulated by the interaction, raised both his arms, making grabby hands. It was almost endearing, but Dinah couldn't help being put off by his translucent, sun-deprived skin; watery blue eyes; and overall unsettling presence. Not to mention his size; the kid hadn't so much as walked until yesterday, yet he was unnaturally large and muscular, easily Bruce's height with a proportionally small waist that only served to further the uncanniness of his appearance. That wasn't touching on the tight jaw, cheekbones, huge eyes, and surprisingly little baby-fat.

Oliver scowled. "It's a mockery of Superman." No one at the table could disagree; it looked like someone dialed Superman's inhuman features up to eleven. Things considered handsome on their own were illogical when placed together on his face. It was jarring, almost sickening at first, and lodged safely within the uncanny valley.

"Even if it is a child, cloning is the most direct form of inbreeding we know as possible, it could lead to all manner of physical maladies." Bruce cut in, ever unable to keep his opinion to himself.

Diana tried to stay engaged in the meeting, she was a founder after all, but  Clark's increasing discomfort was distracting. "Are you okay?" She whispered.

Clark glanced at her, his eyes exhausted and dry. "How can I be?"
She didn't know how to respond. Clark clearly had no interest in civilly discussing his feelings with her. "I'm sorry, just-- look at him. they did that to me! to my genetics, and what was my family."

"I'm sure it-- He isn't pleased with this either."

Clark didn't acknowledge her, staring straight ahead. "They called it superboy." He wondered if he should tell her that superboy was the nickname his parents gave him in middle school, but he couldn't. He couldn't even mention ma and pa in that thing's presence. He couldn't put them in danger of a brainless monster hijacking their son's face.

He perked up at the sound of Bruce addressing him. "Superman, do you acknowledge the temporary close of this meeting?"

"I do." He muttered, staring at the table in disgust.

"As do I." Diana agreed, resting her hand on his shoulder. He appreciated the gesture, but he felt filthy being touched right now.

"So it is settled, we will take recess until it is next convenient. Adjourned!" He turned his focus to the other two thirds of the world's finest. "Superman, Wonderwoman, are either of you available to supervise as project krypton is moved into a holding cell? Flash, Aquaman and myself are must leave to speak with our sidekicks."

Diana winced, very aware of what those poor children had coming. "I will. I think it's time Superman returns to metropolis." She glanced over her shoulder. "and if you ever need time off, I can cover for you..."

"Thank you." He said, it was genuine, but apprehension and disgust still coloured his tone. "But I have everything handled."

"Alright." She left it at that, addressing the other leaguers, who had began discussing between themselves in hushed tones. "Who amongst you will help escort the superboy to a holding cell?"

"I'm afraid I can't, as you know I have a... visitor staying with me." J'onn explained. "I shouldn't have left her alone for so long..."

"Well I can't do it!" Oliver explained. "I have to go find where the hell Speedy's run off to."

"I guess I can stay behind." Dinah sighed. She didn't want to get stuck in an archer-angst sandwich "You go find himself and sort out what happened at the hall."

"Don't worry, I'll stay behind and help too!" Captain marvel announced. Billy was scared of the weird looking teen they'd brought back, but you had to face your fears, right? that was a hero thing
Also, it gave him an excuse to be home so late after curfew. 

"Oh. Thanks, Captain." She turned away from her boyfriend. "With the two of us and Wonderwoman, we'll have more than enough manpower."

Oliver sighed. "Just, keep me updated, for gods' sake."

"Got it. Good luck with Speedy."

Be careful, ok, I don't the kid can control his strength yet." Barry called.

"Thanks!" Billy replied. "Say hi to Kid Flash for me."

"Will do, cap." He sighed, departing. "will do."

The clone watched blankly as the leaguers dispersed to the zetabeams, making a point of staying away from him. Without any acknowledgement, he decided to try something new: falling back down on his  palms, he walked them forwards, then, he walked his knees forwards. In a few seconds he was shakily crawling across the floor towards the people.

There was a shout and a man in green and black leapt onto his chair. "Holy-- guys!"

"What, Hal--" Dinah turned tiredly. Her eyebrows shot into her hair to see the clone take a tentative step forwards on all fours, looking up at them. His newly formed limbs shuddered beneath him and his body smacked the watchtower floor. "Well, someone's sneaky, huh?" She observed, trying to sound calmer than she was. mostly to prove that Hal was overreacting. "Captain, shall we?"

-You guys want more of this?-

-Side Note: Frankenstein's monster is very articulate and eloquent, but this is inspired by him in the woods around Ingolstadt, before the Delacey's-