Separated (part 2)

-TW for explicit drug use and addiction-

"Arty come on, we don't have enough cash for you to keep buying that shit." Wally scolded.

"Fuck you." She replied. "Do I tell you to stop eating all our food? I don't think so."

"Alright," Kaldur stepped in. "Wally, don't blame Artemis. She's actively trying to reduce her drug use." He turned to the other teen. "That beings said, Artemis, please ask before you take any more money.

With some little grumbling the teens agreed to knock it off.

The back door snapped shut.

"Did you get it?"

"We barely got away this time." M'ganns body twisted and paled back from the human disguise she'd been wearing.

"But you did, correct?" Kaldur asked.

"We did." Conner dropped a grocery bag of loose pill bottles on the torn-up carpet. "Come get your drugs."

"Meds, Conner, it's medication." Dick replied patiently. "It's not our fault we don't have medical coverage." He rifled through the bag, removing a few pill bottles. He mentally apologized to the people who's meds they'd stolen. But one thing he'd learned since running away from the circus was that sometimes you needed to lookout for yourself, regardless of who it hurt. He didn't like it, but it was required.

Artemis dug out her meds and set them aside. "I'm gonna get a breath of fresh air." She announced, padding out onto the porch of the condemned house.

Conner followed, shutting the door behind him. "I got you something." He said, handing her a pack of smokes.

"Thanks I was really craving a puff." Artemis took it. "and yours." She handed him the little box. "Had to go through shit to get it, but there you go."

Conner peeled open the package. "I heard arguing when we arrived."

"Wally thought I took the money for myself."

"Did you--"

"I didn't tell them." She struck up her lighter, holding it to the tip of the cigarette in her mouth. She was trying to quit, she swore she was, but the stress of each passing day on the street pushed her further into vice. She was at least grateful not to be hooked on something more dangerous.

Conner was hooked on something more dangerous; he affixed the steroid patch on his upper arm with a hiss of pleasure. The two indulged in their vices in secret, too ashamed to tell their friends.

"What did you do before you smoked?" Conner asked suddenly.

"Before I smoked I lived at home." She sighed. "I was a kid when Jady started, and when I, uh, 'moved out' I needed a way to cope. Of course therapy wasn't an option, so..." She gestured loosely with the cig and took another puff. "What about you?"

"I've always had them. I had one on when Cadmus burned down." He shrugged. "Then I found you guys and you helped me get more."

"You're welcome and I'm sorry." Artemis bowed jestingly, stamping the cigarettes butt out. "Come on, let's walk off the scent before we go back in."

Dick awoke around 3 am. Another nightmare. He crept out from the warm sleeping pile and shuffled on his shoes and jacket. He'd just take a walk over to Hastings st and back, he'd feel more sleepy after clearing his mind.

The streets were pretty quiet, a Tuesday night on the edge of the Gotham slums. Dick skipped a little as he walked, trying to keep warm. He didn't feel particularly scared, he had his knives and was decently confident in his ability to fight like the devil. If he could take down those drug smugglers, he could take down a mugger or kidnapper.