Historical AU

-I was intentionally vague about the exact time setting, but it's roughly set between 1795 and 1845, AKA the Regency and Georgian Eras. If even one person calls it Victorian, I will cry.-

-IDK what inspired this, but the aesthetics were all there, and just the idea of blending this with such things as Spring Heeled Jack, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, and Bram Stoker's Dracula was simply too alluring.-

Young Richard Grayson shot out of bed at the crack of dawn, without even waiting for his governor, he started doffing his nightgown and dressing himself. Today was the day. 

Everyday he was at home with his guardian (Bruce), his governor-tutor-housekeeper Alfred, and no one else. Today he would get to see other children.

"Master Dick, you must wait for me to help." Alfred scolded, stopping him in his tracks and fixing Dick's shirt-- which had all three buttons askew. 

"I can't wait, Alfred!" He whined, shifting his weight impatiently as the Butler rearranged his hair. "There are other children coming today! I never get to see other children!"

"You get to see children whenever we go shopping in town."

"But this time they're coming! My friends are coming and other new friends too! We're going to spend all day climbing trees and exploring."

"Not while your wearing that, it isn't made for climbing." Alfred finally released him. "Go wash up for breakfast."

Dick shot out of the room like a bullet, ribbon-tied stockings slipping on the wood as he splashed his face in the basin and stampeded down the stairs. He knew some of the children coming over: Wallace, the professor's nephew and apprentice; Roy and Artemis, Mr. Queens wards who he saw every few months; and Kaldu'ahm, a royal servant and representative from the continent of Atlantis who was sent with their new king to observe the outside world. The other children he hadn't had a chance to meet yet (though Wally and Artemis had wrote to him about an immigrant girl living with inspector Jones who would be coming), that was supposed to be it, but Dick had heard Bruce and Mr. Clark talking about and a boy living in Mr. Clark's house who wasn't allowed to leave either. Dick hoped he'd come join their little party as well.

"Bruce?" He asked, pausing to curtsy in acknowledgement. "Bruce?"

"Dick?" He asked, leafing through a book of loose parchment. "I've told you curtsying is usually for young ladies."

"Yes sir." After a thought, Dick curtsied again, grinning. "When are they coming?"

"Our guests?"

"YES!" Dick leapt up and down. "When will they be here?"

"They'll be here soon enough, after your tutoring."

Dick was made to sit still all through breakfast, then his tutoring with Alfred, which just stretched on and on... Dick was finished his French lesson and onto the next when finally, through the warm dusty glass of the nursery, came a faint clicking of hooves. The young boy shot upright, eyeing the lawns through the window.  Alfred noticed his distraction and inquired after what concerned him such.

"I shall let our guests in." Alfred interrupted. "You can come down once I see you've finished your arithmetic questions."

Disappointed, Dick sunk down at his slate again. "Yes, Alfred."

He watched a modest, but sleek, surrey arrive next, bumping over the cobbled trail leading up to the house. As he scribbled in his last few questions, an onslaught of traffic took up the drive.