Friday night

-3 short vignettes I wrote while waiting for the edible to kick in-

Dick was overjoyed with his new suit, the embroidered flowers swept along the waistcoat like a narrative; red and yellow with gilded green leaves printed across the dark fabric. It was still very Americanized, but it was as Romani as his formal clothes got, and he savored it.

Artemis was in trip pants and a crop top, dragged to the gala by the older arrows.

"Black tie." Bruce reminded as Alfred took their jackets. 

"You're lucky we got her out the door in a shirt." Oliver replied. "You're lucky we got her out the door at all!"

"And you call me stubborn." Roy located a chair in the far corner and made a b-line for it, eager for the night to pass him by.

"Hey." Dick said.

"Hey." Artemis said.

They sat on the floor, against the wall. 

"Want a snack?"

"Nah, I had a bag of chips in the car." They sat there a moment. "So, are we like, the only ones?"

"The only what?" Dick replied. "Teens? heroes? POC? Yes to all of the above."

"Shame."

Dick stood up. "C'mon, B is busy greeting guests."

"Where are we going?"

"My Xbox is in the old nursery."

They crept up the stairs and to the nursery; it was an old playroom, complete with rocking horse and dressing-up chest. 

Dick sat on the tiny rocking horse, starting up the Xbox. "Minecraft? Kinect? " 

"You got GTA?"

"Yeah we can play GTA."

Alfred noticed the children missing pretty early on, but with the business of greeting guests, and the drama of Roy Harper getting drunk, he'd been too busy to worry about them.

He found the teens in the nursery, asleep on the city-map rug, clutching videogame controllers. Gingerly he removed a blanket from the old crib and covered them. With that, Alfred returned downstairs, leaving them to sleep.

Aquaman found the boys in one of the deep hallways of mount justice, emptying a storage room.

"Sir." Kaldur hastened a salute, disregarding his task entirely.

"at ease."

"Yessir." The boy lowered his fist, obliviously leaving a smear of dust on his forehead.

Arthur smiled a short, quick smile. "Here, stay still." He leant forwards, pulling his sleave down slightly as he wiped the mark away. When he pulled back he saw the boy looking down bashfully. "Good boy. Now, what are you and your friend up to?"

"Bats wants us to clear out all the records in here so they can be scanned." Kid Flash said, hauling out a huge box of papers. "And we don't have plans." He set the box down, releasing a grey cloud of soft, linty dust. Kaldur coughed violently, eyes shut tight. "Sorry Kal." Wally tried in vein to wave the haze away.

"Kaldur, are you alright?" He asked hesitantly. 

"Yes sir." The boy croaked, looking almost embarrassed about his coughing fit. Though what he had to be embarrassed about was beyond his mentor.