Tadpole

-Wrote an impromptu part about lil' baby 14 y/o Kaldur  going on land-

Rocking slightly, Kaldur'hm rested a hand on the wall to steady himself. The sudden turning of his head set the boy off balance and he crumpled to the floor, landing hard on his knees.

"Are you okay there?" One of the heroes who milled about the room leaned forwards, sliding an arm around Kaldur and pulling him up.

Kaldur wasn't sure what they had said, but the woman looked down at him expectantly. He said what he always did, what contented the adults. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay." Wonderwoman offered him a seat, which Kaldur took so as to not seem rude. "Your King's doing alright, but he'll likely have to stay overnight. He needs to sleep." She explained, seeming to notice that her words flew over his head.

"Yes. Sleep." The boy confirmed miserably.

"Do you have anywhere to go?" She asked, resting a hand on the back of his head. "Can you find home by yourself?" He shook his head, hesitantly. "Okay... That sounds like an issue."

Kaldur, barely understanding her, stared at the floor. "I can sit," He said, trying to explain. "until overnight."

"Is it safe for you?"

Kaldur tried to decipher this: it is safe to go home with King Orin? He nodded. "Safe."

"Maybe." She looked the boy over, he was mostly dried off now, which was much more reassuring to the heroes than it was for someone who had never been out of water long enough for that. "oh, Aqualad, you're bleeding." Wonderwoman exclaimed. "...You're hurt?"

"Hurt?" Confused, he followed her line of sight down to his knees. Under a small gash in his costume, a thick trickle of dark blood was visible. It was strange, at home the blood floated from the wound and dissolved into the water around him, alerting anyone nearby to the injury. Here the blood clung to him, drizzling down his leg.

"I'll go get a first aid kit." She said, then she added, slower and clearer: "I'm going, sit here."

Kaldur sat, stone still, waiting for her return. King Orin had taken him up to land once more so his body could adjust the pressure change and meet another ingenue, this was never supposed to happen. But he'd done everything he was told to do; staying under a dock and under the water while they fought, he'd even left his hiding spot to carry one of the surface's heroes back to the land before returning to his designated safety. It had taken them some time to locate him to tell them his king has injured and needed to be taken in.

Kaldur hadn't seen him since then, sitting in a tight, clean room full of air he could barely force into his fragile lungs, and surrounded by people who's language he spoke less than fifty words of.

"Hey." He looked up again. "Sorry about Aquaman, he really got knocked out. I got a bit battered but Flash made me sit the rest out after he threw me into the ocean. You're the new sidekick, right? We've been hearing so much about you. What do you think of the land?"

Kaldur frowned, blinking slowly. If there were words he understood in that mee he must have missed them in the onslaught. The boy was small, a year or so his junior, with extremely mammal-like features; that was something Kaldur found himself noticing more and more as he stood around these surface dwellers.
"Aqualad." He repeated, touching his chest, just over his heart. He held his hand out, gesturing for the other boy to follow his lead and introduce himself without the jumbled haste from before.

"I know that!" The boy suddenly grabbed his hand in what first seemed like an attack, jerking it up and down so hard Kaldur's shoulder shook. Maybe the attack only worked on people of his species. "I'm Kid Flash, I've been at this for a few months, so hit me up if you need any help."