Doe, a Deer

-She was never The Stag, but she could still be the goddess of the hunt-

"Artemis, can you come with me, please?"

Wobbly kneed, she followed the woman, glancing around anxiously.  She didn't know if she was in trouble, or what was going on. She followed Black canary, her heart rate spiking to see Green Arrow waiting around the corner. She must be in trouble.

"Can I help you?"

"Just wait out here with green arrow, okay? I'll be right back." Black Canary said seriously. Why were they so quiet? Did something happen? Oh god was it mom? Did something happen to her? the family had so many enemies... maybe Jade was killed, she hadn't heard from her in months...

"What's going on?" She asked Oliver, sitting on the edge of an uncomfortable waiting room chair.

"Don't be scared, kiddo."

"I'm not." She lied "I just want to know."

"You'll know soon enough." He tussled her hair, teasingly. "Don't worry."

"I'm not!" She ran her fingers through her hair. She wasn't wearing her wig right now, so it wasn't as long as it was on missions and public appearances. Someday her hair would be that long, but it would take a long time. 

Black Canary reentered, a few leaflets of paper in hand. She sat across from them. "Artemis."

"Yeah?"

"How are you feeling right now?"

"O-- I'm okay."

"Good, Good." She shuffled the papers, excitedly. "Are you keeping up the coping mechanisms we discussed?"

"Yeah."

"Alright. Artemis, We brought you here to let you know that you've been moved up the waitlist. We've scheduled you a consultation for about two weeks from here."

Her heart skipped several beats. A consultation. A consultation for an evaluation for a perscription for estrogen.

She was going to get estrogen maybe. Which meant she wasn't definately not going to get estrogen. 

"Congratulations" Oliver squeezed her shoulder encouragingly. "It took a lot longer than it should have, but there you go!"

"Thank you." She said, shakily, a bit confused as to what to say. Her voice was going to go high again, and then she would be able to give a real reaction.

"Hey, kid, let's go get ice cream? To celebrate?"

She nodded, tugging her hair a little. It was gonna be sooo long and she was gonna have a pretty high voice and she'd be feminine and everyone would see her and treat her just as she wanted them to!

This, this was the start of something good!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roy grumbled, picking up. "Hello?"

"Roy."

He hastened to hang up, not  interested in Oliver calling him. He wasn't the sidekick, if Oliver needed help, he could ask his new kiddie assistant. 

The phone rang again, and he tried to ignore it. After a few calls, he gave in, picking up. "What?" He snapped.

"Roy, I need you to--"

"Artemis! She's you're sidekick, remember?"

"Artemis needs to go home, I need someone to help cover."