Nine Hours

08:23pm

Wind rustled through the canopy overhead, sending several crepe-paper leaves flying back into the night.

It was cold, chilly that is, and the six visitors, clad in thermals and hoodies, huddled close in front of the rickety old door.

"Hardly a safehouse."

"It's hidden, that's the point." The eldest explained. "The funding's low, so ideally they'll be no need for force."

"Right, it's just nine hours." Artemis added on. "We hold onto this package for nine hours and then we can go home."

"No mess. No fuss."

Hesitantly, Kaldur reached out and unlatched the door which immediately swung out of his hand from a strong draft.

The shack was even shabbier on the inside-- abandoned and dismal-- the curtains smelled of mildew and the heavy dust was such that the leader needed to hurry outside to breath. The other five, with their stronger lungs, delved deeper into the cabin; it was mostly one room, with a desolate toilet off the kitchen, and a damp couch in front of the empty fireplace.

Dick set the package on the floor and kicked it under the couch, flopping down on the armrest. "nine hours."

"nine hours." M'gann mimicked emptily.

"They'll pick up the formula at five."

"Well I could see myself getting comfy here." Wally, the chronic optimist, announced, laying across the sofa.

"It's really not that bad." Artemis added. "It's about the size of our apartment."

"Well you live in downtown Gotham, the bar is on the floor." Dick replied earnestly.

"Well excuse me, not all of us can afford houses without exposed rusty nails."

Conner, rather detached from the group, wandered outside to keep Kaldur company. "Are you going to get sick?"

"No, I don't think so." The amphibian coughed, removing a particle mask from the mission kit and donning it. "I'm not sure I can stay inside, however."

Conner sat beside him on the stoop. "It's too crowded."

09:55pm

"Snacks." Dick announced, removing a plastic grocery bag and opening it on the rickety coffee table. "It's not much, but it will do."

"Thanks Rob."

"Cheers."

The teens, at least, those with signal, had spent the past hour or so on their phones, and showed no signs of slowing down, regardless of the lowering battery life.

"Everyone check the discord." Artemis said. The other three did, and there was a series of snorts and giggles. 

"Hold on, I've got one too."

Outside the cabin, the wind had slowed after blowing a thick cluster of clouds over the moon, bathing the clearing in darkness. The wind now did little more than tussle hair and dry out eyes, but there was something static in the air around them.

"Are you cold?" Kaldur asked.

"No." Conner lied, his erected arm hairs at odds with his superhuman pride.

Kaldur didn't get cold easily, not unless temperatures were below freezing, He removed his sweatshirt. "I'm warm." He said, placing in on Conner's lap. "If you start feeling cold you're welcome to it."