Close Quarters

-I was so excited to write this-

"Does Clark Kent live here?" A deep and... uneasy voice came muffled through the door.

Clark frowned, its not that strangers never asked for him by name; he was a journalist, He, Lois, Kat and the others were familiar with discontented people ordering explanations and retractions, but  at ten pm? That's new. 

He'd ordered a new laptop charger a few days ago; hoping it might be a delivery person, Clark inhaled and unlatched the door, opening it. "Hello?"

The door swung open and Clark jumped, he wished it had been a Lexcorp defender. 

The figure stretched up to nearly his height, a feat few civilians achieved. It's eyes were the same fluorescent blue as his, but they lacked the spark Clark's had; they were shade-less and flat. It's cheeks too were empty, its lips thin, and its muscles were more contorted than naturally sculpted. 

Clark felt like he was looking in a funhouse mirror: seeing a reflection that was shorter, smaller, and Uncanny. Like a real like caricature of himself.

He just stared, a cold ocean of sweat shuddering down his back.

The figure faced him, addressing Clark head-on. "Clark... Kent?" It said in a voice which was relatively deep and well spoken; very familiar, except that it held an undecided, vaguely north-east-american accent; in contrast to Clark's brassy Kansan undertones. "I was told this is yours." 

Clark stumbled back at having an envelope shoved in his face, he leaned backward to read better from the lamp light. In the momentary step back from the door, it was left unguarded, and the clone pushed into the apartment.

Clark broadened his shoulders defensively. He unfolded the letter and raised it, watching the clone through the paper as he read:

______________

'Clark Jonathan Kent,

Due to recent events, Mount Justice has been temporarily closed for repairs and assessment of security measures. As I'm sure you remember from our recent meeting, the team must stay elsewhere for the time being as it appears they're unsafe with our current mount justice layout. 

As the other team members have houses outside of the mountain, Ms Martian and Superboy will be sent to stay with adult counterparts. Unlike ms Martian, other leaguers could not care for Superboy, as he is still a potential hazard with untrained kryptonian powers. 

Because of this, the only option is for Superboy to remain under your care until the mountain is repaired. It will be your responsibility to ensure Superboy's basic physical needs are met, and more importantly, that Superboy is not a threat to the public.

Follow ups will be sent to your inbox.

BW'
------------------------

No. No. Clark was not going to do this. He was not going to give the clone, who's soul purpose was to kill and replace him, personal access to him as he ate, slept, worked; he certainly wasn't letting the kid around his loved ones and coworkers. It was dangerous enough that it new Clark's name, didn't Bruce think this through??

"You're not staying. Sorry."  Clark locked onto the kid, pushing him out the door. "Go find Wonderwoman, she has superpowers, she can manage you."

"I don't know where she is!" Superboy backed into the hall defensively.

"Ask Batman." Clark snapped his door shut. watching the kid through the door as he held his door shut, just in case.

"Wait--" The kid shouted at the door.