Swing Your Partner 'Round and Trade (Part Two)

Dick lead on the next hour or so, distracting conversation when it got too embarrassing, until he was finally able to take off like hunting dog and shuffle home at top speeds.

Bruce was at work, which delayed the inevitable 'Where were you between these one and three pm?' chat somewhat. He asked Alfred for a bracer and downed the chai like it was cyanide; get it down the guzzard fast and write your final words.

He let things rest for a few hours: reclining, clutching his cup, and not objecting as Alfred bustled about doffing the young master's outer wear and unshoe-ing him like a mule.

"Alfred?"

"Sir?"

"You're a saint among men."

"Yes, sir."

"Kaldur ought to be made of the same stuff as you."

Alfred took the empty cup from his grasp and said he best save room for dinner. Dick promised he wouldn't, as anything that wasn't cooked by the saint's hands turned to ashes in his mouth.

"Master Richard, would you like me to pack up an early dinner for you to take with you?"

"What? I'm not leaving, Alfred."

"I would recommend it, Master Dick." The butler said seriously. "We received a call shortly before your return from your friend Master Aqualad. He left a message"

"What does that have to do with eating my dinner early?"

"Apparently Batman has been looking for you to discuss some rumor between you and a young lady."

"Gah! Not Zatanna!" Dick exclaimed, leaping in his armchair.

"He did not share the individuals name with me, but I suspect you are right." Alfred offered the boy his sweater. "I took the liberty of assuming you didn't want to cross paths with Master Bruce, he will be home in twenty minutes."

"You're right! I'll take that dinner to go, Alfie!"

Dick admitted he might have been wrong about Kaldur if the older teen had bothered to call and warn him! Come to think of it, the team didn't know his identity, so how Kaldur managed to call Alfred was a mystery, but it was a mystery he could sit with if it saved his hide.

"Robin! are you staying for dinner?" M'gann asked. "Oh dear, we've only got enough instant ramen noodles for three..."

"Three?" Dick asked hoarsely. "Not Zatanna?"

"No, it's Kaldur." His green companion gestured at their leader.

"Oh he is here, is he?" Dick struck off across the room, hollering a "Hullo!" at the aquatic boy, like a stout hunter perusing the fox.

"I'm glad you made it out in time, Robin." Kaldur responded, barely looking away from his phone. That was odd, Kaldur was far from a screen addict. Dick craned his neck, trying to catch a glimpse at whatever was so fascinating it had tied the most phone-repulsed member of the band to his device. Kaldur quickly covered his screen. "Can I help you?"

Dick thought for a moment, he was still pretty miffed about that whole 'brotherly love' affair but, he considered, Alfred had called to warn him that Bats was on his trail. "I need you to make Zatanna fall out of love with me."

"Pardon?"

"You're bally well pardoned, just made her fall out of love with me!"

Kaldur was about to reply when he was interrupted by two short ding-dings from his from cell phone. "Excuse me."