Evening Autumn Air

-IMAGE ID:  two drawings I did of Artemis and Roy: Artemis has golden skin, naturally dark bleached yellow hair, dark almond-shaped eyes and cystic acne. She wears an indigo T-shirt . Roy has reddish-almond skin, backswept curly red hair, hooded green eyes, and some pimples. He wars a grey tank top and has gages in his ears.-

-Artemis and Roy-centric drabble. CW for alcohol, nicotine consumption, and references to coping with addiction (it's not a dark chapter, but it's a theme I explore)-

It was a cold September evening and four heroes were huddled around the table, preparing for the long night ahead. Dinah nudged the girl next to her. "Eat up, you're  heading out soon. It's the last thing you'll get for a few hours."

"I'm not hungry." She replied, toying with her TV dinner moodily. "I had something earlier."

"It stays on the table 'till we leave." Ollie told her. "Incase you change your mind."

Artemis decided in that moment she'd rather starve to death than change her mind, for while they might not be related, the Arrows shared that idiotic stubbornness that lead to intentionally starving yourself so as not to end up any sort hypocrite. 

"Get me one too, won't  you?" Dinah asked, noticing her boyfriend unlocking the cupboard over the fridge.

Ollie removed two Heineken bottles and relocked the cupboard before either of his wards could make an attempt. They cracked the seals and drank the pick-me-ups like thirsty dogs.

"Can I have some?"

Oliver held the bottle out, letting the teen sip his beer. He wasn't impressed with how she didn't wince at the taste. "OKAY slow down kiddo."

"What? I didn't have that much!"

"You have two fingers worth, that's too much; you're not old enough to handle your alcohol yet."

She laughed under her breath. "bet."

"Excuse me?"

"Nothing." Artemis replied. "My head kinda hurts." She caught his glance. "It's not the beer, it hasn't even been five minutes. I think it's cause I had a monster."

"You had an energy drink and then asked for a drink?" Oliver scolded. "Artemis, sweetie, what have I told you about mixing uppers and downers?"

"...To not do that?"

"Good girl, go lie down." She began to protest but he waved her off. "No, your brain is squishy and delicate; come back when you're twenty one."

Dinah interrupted with a mountainous sigh, snapping her phone down. "Excuse me."

"What's wrong?

"Apparently someone got into a fight with his classmate after school, and now he's suspended." She collected her things into the pockets o her jean jacket. "at least he's interacting with his peers..."

"Say Hi to Conner for me." Artemis called, taking her hoodie off the back of her chair and zipping it up. "Give wolf a pet."

Dinah gave her boyfriend a kiss on the cheek and offered each kid a friendly nudge. "I'll be back later."

Roy waited until both had left before letting out a: "If I'd done that at her age You'd yell at me." 

"Well clearly that approach didn't work." Ollie sighed. "Roy, I only have so much energy these days; as long as she's safe, that's all I can ask for."

"Oh, so I guess I was just a dry run for you?"

"Roy, you're 18, at this point you can tell me what you need. With Artemis-- she's not even mine, it's like I'm loaning a glass statue..."