Sea Dogs

-mmmmmmmmm new book! I hope you enjoy!-

"Are you sure this will work?"

"I'm confident." Kaldur lead the way down the dock, deserted in the late evening air. He had to admit that he was beyond excited to share this with his friends.
He sat on the edge of the dock and slid himself into the water, briefly disappearing from sight. Finally, he resurfaced. "They have learned to to play away from land to avoid fishing, however, I can feel them coming."

Artemis dropped down besides him, perched on the last board of the dock, watching the water intently, though she had to squint through the reflections for the fast setting sun.

"Are you SURE this is safe?" Wally asked intentionally lagging a few paces behind his friends.

"You've been watching too many movies." Artemis told him.

"Well, there are attacks!"

"They aren't 'attacks' they're 'encounters', and we kill them a lot more than they bite us." Dick said, joining the blondes at the end of the dock.

"They've never wanted to eat humans," Conner added, sitting with the others. His feet were dangling over the water like he wasn't even bothered. "Humans aren't good meals unless you have appendages to tear the flesh off. if you don't, humans are too crunchy and difficult to eat."

Dick beckoned the redhead over. "Like Kaldur always says: they mean us no harm."

"You're all stupid." Wally said.

"Are we really gonna see them, Kaldur?" M'gann asked eagerly, she too had lagged behind like Wally, but make no mistake: She was ecstatic.

Kaldur paused. "Remain still, here is onenow." He reached underwater and, gradually, he teased a large, slippery form to the surface. "They are what you might call a..." He thought for a minute. "What you might call a basking shark."

Artemis gasped, turning to Dick. "That's the one with the big mouth!"

Dick grinned. "Gulp Gulp."

Kaldur chuckled, sweeping the shark's head up near the surface So it may see his friends. Sharks were so very friendly, though he hoped he wouldn't run into the king shark... there was some tension at the moment that Kaldur did not wish to be inserted into them.

Superboy reached out and touched the creature, before quickly withdrawing to ask conset: "can I touch you?"

Kaldur smiled, struggling with the shark like a large dog. "Under the mouth or over the eyes is most comfortable for them. Don't touch the gills."

Conner eagerly reaching out, pausing when Wally squeaked. "Why are you scared? it's MY hand." He reached out and touched its rubbery skin, petting back to front. "He's soft."

"Really!" Artemis leaned forwards, her one hand gripping the edge of the splintery dock, she let her fingers of the other play over the blubbery skin. "Wow! He IS really soft! ...that's what she said..."

"you stole my joke!" Robin teased. "Lemme touch him!" He clambered over the archer, carefully poking under the shark's fin. "Wow, look who's beautiful!"

"There are more here." Kaldur let go of the Shark who, enjoying the attention, hung near the surface for them. Kaldur reached over and pulled a long, pointy face out of the water. "Ah." He said a few words in general Atlantean. "A... a..."

"Blue shark." Conner replied.

"I'm not sure of the English word, but I trust you are correct," Kaldur replied. "A Blue Shark. With them, you will want to touch their back very gently. In this direction." Kaldur gently brushed up the shark's cartilage. "like you're petting wolf, Wolf doesn't like it when you pet him the wrong way."