Camping Trip

-Set in the same AU as the Halloween Part, so all the unhumans look monstrous and are very sheltered.-

-I know Mount Justice is on the East Coast, but I live on the West Coast, so I only know what the forests are like here. Forgive my limited environmental knowledge.-

A sea monster, an alien, and a clone sat about the atrium, watching their friends.

"This is going to be awesome."  Wally remarked. "I can't believe we got approved!"

"It's only because Bats thinks no one will see them." Dick explained, using all of his small body to roll a sleeping bag. 

"What is it we're doing again?" M'gann asked.

"Camping!" Wally replied. "Taking tents out into the woods and sleeping in them."

"Is it safe?" Kaldur asked. "With the land Fauna?"

"We shouldn't encounter anything, but I've got bear spray and we'll tie up our food just to be safe." Artemis forced her backpack closed. "I haven't been camping since I was a kid. But mom and dad really put us through it in the wild."

"I'm not surprised." Dick said. "Bats was the same with me, even though we're more urban in our heroic endeavors."

They set off around two pm, striking off onto the mountain. The hike was easy for Conner, having long legs and strong stamina, and Wally, having boundless energy. Kaldur and Artemis got by alright, but M'gann and Dick were struggling. Dick was short, making it hard to keep up on foot, and M'gann was clumsy on two legs, still learning how to walk bipedally. 

The woods that stretched up the mountain were dense and quiet, the paths were nothing but deer trails, but that was okay. They'd pushed through sword ferns and hemlock trees. Wally identified plants to avoid, which Conner plowed through anyways, unaffected by poison oak and devil's club.

"Stop please, Hydrate." Kaldur called. They stopped and Dick, finally catching up, slid to his knees, dismounting his backpack. They all drank in silence, say for the violent gulping of electrolytes. Kaldur felt around in her backpack, removing a tube of sunscreen. He was allergic to it, but M'gann was allergic to the sun's heat, so he carried it on her behalf. He sat beside them to reapply it on her face.

She squeaked. "It's so cold! And slimy!" He was brave though, and sat still as Kaldur smothered them in sun block.

Conner, who was carrying most of their gear, suddenly perked up. "Did you hear that?"

The others paused. "...no?"

"I thought I heard people walking." 

"I mean it's a forest. there are animals and stuff." Wally explained patiently. "C'mon, let's keep going."

It was easily past five when they found a good place, a flat area between two hills where a ravine must flow in the wetter months. Put the ground was fir and dry, and so the teens unmounted their tents (and heavier equipment) from Conner's back; he'd been something of a pack mule for the hike.

Artemis and Dick decided to argue over setting the tent up, with Kaldur as their moderator, while Wally took the aliens out to collect firewood.

It wasn't hard to find dry logs, and soon Wally had filled his arms, and M'gann had filled two sets of arms and was starting a third.

"You've been quiet for a while, supey." The redhead remarked, strolling over to where the clone squatted in the foliage. 

"Shh!" He held a hand up.