Elementary School AU

-geez, sorry the update took so long! I'm working as a scare actor and the late night shifts exhaust me! Anyways, in this AU the non-humans are non-human, and Artemis lives with the Arrows as foster parent. The middle/end is kinda messy, but at least i published something!-

"Don't forget that I love you"

"Uh huh!"

"and me or Alfred will come pick you up right at three?"

"Uh huh!"

"Make sure to listen to your teacher, and eat your snack, and make sure you wear your jacket when you're out on the playground."

"Uh huh!"

"Okay, I love you, Dickie. Have a great day at school!"

"I will! Bye!" Dick skipped into his classroom, chucking his backpack (which was actually just a purse that belonged to an old girlfriend of Bruce's) in the cubby before sitting crisscross-applesauce on the carpet. Bruce watched from the hallway, going through the daily motions of leaving his baby at school.

His pathetic moping was interrupted by yelling from down the hall, looking over, Bruce saw a familiar face, and a familiar scene.

"You need to wear them. It's important..."

"No! I hate them!"

Bruce frowned, that kid was at least two years older than Dick, and Dick was far more mature and polite.

"Conner, stop yelling." The man, Clark, glanced around as if embarrassed by the scene his kid was causing.

"NO!! I hate it!" The kid stamped his foot. "NEVER EVER! I HATE IT!!!" He threw himself on the ground, verging on a full crocodile-tears tantrum.

Bruce considered himself one to judge on parenting; Dick never acted like that, let alone in public. He passed Clark, barely holding back a snide comment-- but not quite holding back his smug expression.

Clark was neither a doting parent nor a willing one, and his inability to diffuse even the slightest conflict demonstrated this. Bruce wasn't the best parent, but he didn't have to deal with tantrums like that; Dick might moan about a time out, or wander off to entertain himself, but he never made it confrontational. Bruce seemed to pride himself on how he was always top dog; unless, that is, someone stood up to him. Alfred often said he was lucky that Dick was so young and complicit, and that he's be in trouble when he hit his teen years. Bruce didn't believe any of that, he couldn't even imagine Dick as anything other than a sweet five-year-old.

"I never wanted to enter this school again!" The elder complained, marching the younger in.

"I don't need you to walk me anyways! I'm just as much of a big kid as you, remember? We have the same bedtime!" The younger snarked back, yanking away.

"Yeah, but I'm the one in middle school!" Roy bragged, trying to come back from that devastating bedtime comment.

Bruce took pause, blocking them from the hallway. "Where's Oliver?"

"In bed." Roy said, his distraction allowing the younger girl to bite his hand, and the two fell back into their scrimmage.

"Did you bus here?" Bruce asked sternly; these children were far too young to be coming to school alone.

"Dinah gave us a lift, but I had to walk her down while Dinah got ready for class."

"I didn't want you to walk me!" The girl repeated, lip out.

The bell rang. "Ugh! I'm gonna be late!" Roy shoved the girl by her backpack in the general direction of her class and sprinted out the door, towards the middle school across the street. Bruce saw that she entered her second grade class, along with Barry's equally late nephew, and left. Clark was still inside, bickering with his son, and he was unlikely to make it to work any time soon.