Separated (Part 8)

Bruce couldn't sleep, and by five am he'd given up on trying. He'd just take a walk around the neighborhood to clear his mind. It was Alfred's idea, really, but since he couldn't think of a good reason not to, Bruce obeyed. 

The morning was clear and cool, the sun was just beginning to glance over the horizon, and the grass was swamped in dew. It was sure to be a beautiful summer day, not that Bruce particularly cared.

He strolled down the more commercial street, deep in thought, when he caught sight of a kid standing on the corner, glancing around at passers by.

Bruce recognized the girl instantly, the black zip-up hoodie, the long blonde hair, she was an exact match for the kid from the missing children's list. Not to mention the blonde girl in the security tape.

"Hey, mister," The kid called across the street "I left my ID at home, would you mind picking up a pack of Discount Originals?" She thumbed at the bodega behind her.

The kid, Artemis Crock, must only be fifteen or sixteen, but he couldn't let her get away now that he'd found her-- there was no time to get into costume.  "Why should I?"

"Because it's considerate." She rifled with a meager collection of bills. "I'll pay you back."

Bruce, after some consideration, crossed the street to her. "What kind did you want?"

"The cheap ones." 

Bruce nodded, entering the corner store. He pet the bodega cat and picked up the cigarettes, exiting onto the street where the teen was waiting. "Don't bother paying me back, it's on me."

Her face lit up with relief. "Really? gee, thanks." She took the pack from him and stuck one between her lips, lighting up.

"Now, what's a kid your age doing out at this time, begging strangers to buy you cigarettes?"

"Mind your own business, we've all gotta do what we've all gotta do." She replied. 

"Where're your parents?" 

"Dad's away, mom's in jail." She blew out a lung of smoke. "I'm, uh, living with friends."

"Where?"

"I would I tell you?" She laughed nervously, turning away.

"Wait!" Bruce called. He longed to break character, to reveal that he knew her name, that she was involved with the drug high jacking, to demand she come with him... but Bruce Wayne couldn't do what Batman could do. "Take this." He rifled through his pockets, removing a small wad of bills. It wasn't much, but it might cover a couple meals. 

"Why are you being so nice?" The girl demanded suspiciously. 

"Don't let it be said I never support inner-city youth." Bruce forced a smile. "Run along, your friends must be waiting for you."

Bruce waited until the girl rounded the corner before shadowing her. There was no time to change, or get the car, he'd have to risk being seen.

After about half a block the girl glanced over her shoulder, like a scared deer, as soon as she saw him following, she took off.

Bruce considered chasing her, but it wasn't worth it. The kids would be on high alert now, and besides, it probably wasn't a good look to go chasing teenage girls on the street.

At least he knew the area the were in, and if he was quick he might be able to get into costume before they could relocate.

"What's wrong?" Conner stood sharply, turning to face the cave mouth of the garage just as Artemis staggered in. She'd ran several blocks and was sweating hard. 

"Some creep tried to follow me back from the bodega." 

"Where?" Conner sprinted for the entry.

"It's alright." She panted, doubling over from a cramp. "I think I lost him."

"What did he look like?" Wally asked nervously. 

"Black hair, I think? White guy. I don't know, I wasn't paying attention."

"It's alright," Kaldur said, jumping to his feet to help her, "We won't see him again."

"And if he does, he'll have to take down all of us!" Dick laughed lightly.

"It was so weird, he gave me money for no reason, then followed me!"

"Gave you money?"

She nodded, removing a fistful of bills from her pocket. "Said something about supporting inner city youth."

"How'd he know you were inner city? We're uptown." Wally replied.

Artemis shrugged. "Don't care, we got money and I got away clean, so we're fine." She stuffed the money into the fireproof box.

Bruce was frustrated, nearly three hours scouring the neighborhood incognito and nothing. For all he knew the kid had caught a bus downtown. He could had slammed the dash in anger. He'd gotten so close. He'd been within arm's reach of one, if he had been in costume he could have caught her with ease!

He was getting beat at every turn by a bunch of teenagers! Granted, it was obvious these weren't your average highschoolers on summer break, but the insult stood. They were desperate to avoid him, to continue whatever superhero fantasy they'd lost themselves in, not considering its implications or dangers.

Bruce braked so hard the car behind nearly slammed into him.

He had an idea.

Dick was braiding M'gann's hair to pass the time. They were all a bit on edge after Artemis' encounter that morning, and were trying to entertain themselves from the safety of the garage. Not to mention that they could risk Wally being spotted.

They'd need to leave at some point though, their devices needed charging and the easiest way to do that was at a cafe. 

In the meantime Kaldur knew the forums to peruse, searching for their next mission. Something always needed doing in Gotham, and they tended to excel in what Batman often didn't. While the bat was busy with the breakout of the week, they were doing their part to protect the marginalized: people with addictions, disabled people, homeless, etc. 

"Do you ever think we should, like, stop?" Wally asked. "I mean, not stop helping people, but... I admit I don't care to relive my interrogation."

"Don't worry," Dick replied. "We won't let the bat catch us off guard again!"

"Batman?" Manhunter called as he entered.

"I'm busy." Bruce made a beeline for the computers.

"You might want to see this," Hawkwoman added, "if you're still invested in those children from the security tape?"

The bat paused, "What is it?"

"J'onn's department found something interesting."

J'onn pulled what looked like a webpage, though obviously one not accessible from the advertiser-friendly surface internet. "It seems whoever is in control of the cocaine smuggling ring that was hijacked has put out a 'hit' on the thieves."

Bruce bit the inside of his cheek. "We have to be fast."