Sleepover

The league babied them whenever it was convenient, if they had their own ideas-- or god forbid, disagreed with the league's ideas-- then they were just little kids throwing a fit. Then again, if they had the audacity to act their age, then they were accused of being childish and irresponsible.

Either way, the league was currently refusing to let them meet without supervision.

Roy thought it was funny that the team had been reclassified as children, he made a habit out of teasing Artemis over it. "Don't be late to your playdate."

"It's not a playdate." Artemis said, slinging a duffle bag over her shoulder. "It's a sleepover."

"Fine, playdate with a naptime." Roy shrugged. "Either way you have a babysitter."

Utterly annihilated, Artemis snapped the door shut after her.

She hurried to the nearest zeta, sliding in and into the mountain. The others were already huddled around the TV.

"Hey."

"Hey." 

She sat down. "What're we gonna watch?"

"Depends. Mommabats set some restrictions." Wally complained.

"Nothing rated R." Robin frowned. "Apparently we need to keep it PG tonight."

"That's fine!" M'gann said. "I'm sure there's plenty of good stuff we can watch." She hopped to their feet. "I'll put on some popcorn!"

"Be careful with the stove, Ms. Martian." Red Tornado said, lurking in the doorway.

"I will! I know how to use it!" She slammed a jiffypop pan on the element and turned it on.

It's not that Red Tornado didn't trust the team, it's just that they were predisposed to troublemaking. They were always in some danger, or up to some mischief when unsupervised. Tonight it was his job to watch over them and ensure they didn't cause any problems.

He continued to lurk.

'this sucks.' Artemis though over the mind link. 'we can't do anything while he's here'

'I've got this' Robin cleared his throat. "Hey Red, Bats wanted you to take inventory of the armory tonight, he's putting in our next order and needs to know what we're lacking."

'Is that true?' M'gann asked.

'It is now.'

"This task will take approximately ten minutes."

"We'll be fine for ten minutes."

As soon as Red had let, Wally leapt to his feet. "Ten minutes, put on a horror."

Conner jumped on it. "Which one?"

"Slumber party massacre!" Artemis cheered.

They put the movie on, snuggling up around the sofa. The movie started slow, and they were just about at the woman's shower nudity scene when Kaldur realized something felt off.

He coughed, covering his mouth and nose. His eyes watered from the sting of the air.

"Is that smoke?" Conner asked.

M'gann gasped. "The popcorn!" 

She shot across to the stovetop, right as the pan ignited. She squealed, stumbling back, guarding her face against the flames.

"M'gann!" Conner caught his roommate right before she hit the ground.

The growing fire on the stove lit up the room.