regretfully,

click.

click.

snap.

"ughhhh...~ what a pain, these Hearts..."

a few more snaps, and a blazing icy blue light lit up the clearing. clawed hands flew towards the soul, abruptly silencing its glow and grasping it tightly within deep violet gloves.

"how much more, I wonder," mumbled a low voice, deep purple fabric rustling as a tall figure tossed the struggling orb into the pit at the figure's shoes.

a large, decorated lantern rested against thick black boots, glowing ominously against the rotted grass.

"lantern-holder."

"hm? ah~ faceless~ I was beginning to think -" his heel caught on the handle of the lantern, which swung up over a hooded head, laying to rest on the slender claws of the assistant, " - that you had disappeared, just as the weakling and harvestman had...~"

ornate heeled shoes, almost glowing white, rustled the bloodstained grass, which seemed to hiss and squirm away from the tall woman.

"I see you have found your way backstage, eh~? how impressive, dear!" a clap, causing the bells attached to the lantern ring. "you seem to be smarter than I thought! care to help me, darling? I was just about to go hunting~!"

"I regret to inform you that I have not come to assist you, sir," sighed the faceless as she crossed her arms, "rather, to stop you."

"oh?" the hooded figure's posture faltered, a glowing reddish eye flicking to land on the golden lance behind her back. "...care to...explain?"

"as old as I am - and as much as I loved this clan - I cannot bear to see this world's suffering continue," she hummed, spinning the lance a few times before wielding it in a defensive position, "I suppose it may be the Deity in me, but I will stop at nothing to defend this planet and its inhabitants. this infecting tradition is a bit tiring, dare I say."

"ah~ how noble of you, faceless! I'm almost impressed...~" the lantern-holder laughed, returning to his original stance, loosely holding the lantern in his left hand. a shark-toothed grin stretched across his face.

"I believe I'll take this as a challenge? exciting~! a fight with the oldest god-eater alive~!? aren't I lucky!"

a low, hysterical laugh broke the stillness of the forest clearing, the rattle of rusted black metal against bells shaking the fragile flora in the area.

the faceless simply sighed, holding their stance, waiting for him to stop.

"I suppose - this means you will be exiled, won't you~? fascinating, fascinating~!!" he gasped, "in my trillions of years of life, I have never heard of such an old god-eater quitting, of all things!!"

he spun his lantern, which began to glow a dark violet-magenta, "and tell me - who convinced you~? aaah, was it those beautiful creatures you talked to a while ago~? the ones who took my harvestman? now I know why you didn't kill them then and there - did someone finally win your icy cold heart~?"

"..."

"oh, don't be like that, dear~ answer me! I wanna knowww~!!"

"......"

"mmmm~ fineeee," he whined, suddenly spinning on his heel with a slight bounce. he swung the lantern at arms' length, which abruptly snapped, taking the form of a large war-axe - of which he held with one hand, as if it wasn't hundreds of pounds of metal and magic.

"I won't go easy on you though, faceless~"