10

"Okay, make a wish!" I said and hiked Nova up onto my hip so she could lean forwards to blow her candle out.

I watched as her face scrunched with concentration before she blew out the candle in front of her. "Yayyy!" We all cheered as I looked around the room.

I saw everyone with smiles on their faces as they celebrated the girls.

In the corner of the room though I could see a little girl standing there with her arms at her sides.

"Can you see me?" The little girl asked as I nodded slightly. "Why did mommy leave me?" She asked and looked around the room with a lost look on her face.

"I was playing and she left." She said as my eyes watered. "Do you know where my..." She started but was interrupted my her face and neck irrupting into hives. I watched as she brought her hands to her neck.

I watched in horror as her face turned blue and her eyes widened. I wanted to look away but I couldn't no matter how hard I tried.

I felt someone shake my arm, causing me to become aware of my surroundings.

I watched the little girl for a second before I turned to see Colby standing in front of me with a concerned look on his face.

"Are you okay?" He asked with concern as I nodded. "I need a minute." I said then turned and quickly made my way out of the room.

I felt my chest tighten with anxiety as I made my way out of the building. I needed to get some fresh air and to be away from that room for a minute.

When I got outside I put my hands on my head and let out a breath. I sat on the curb then closed my eyes and tried to calm down my racing heart.

"Hey...what's going on?" Colby asked as he came over to me. "It's happening." I whispered as he sat down next to me.

"What's happening?" He asked as I sniffled and looked at him. "I saw a little girl." I said and closed my eyes.

"She told me that her mom left her while she was playing but...I think she had an allergic reaction and she died." I said with a sniffle.

"Wait. You saw something? You haven't seen things in years." Colby said and took my hand, gently rubbing his thumb along my knuckles.

"I don't know why it's happening. I've spent the last five years pushing it away because I don't want you or the girls to get hurt." I said and nervously picked at my dress.

"Violet, honestly I think pushing that part of you down was a mistake." Colby said quietly. "What do you mean?" I asked and looked at him.

"Being a medium is a part of who you are and I know it scared you when I lost my memory but it's been five years, V." He said quietly then turned to face me.

"I think you should come with us when we go on our next trip." He said as I shook my head. "We can't leave the girls." I said as he sighed.

"We can take them to my parent's house. They would love that." He said causing me to sigh.

"I don't know, Colby. Things are different now and it scares the shit out of me." I said then took a deep breath.

"If something happens to us then they're orphans. They'll have to grow up knowing that we exist and that we're their parents but not being able to physically have us to hold." I said as my eyes watered.

"When you go it's terrifying because something can happen and they'd lose a dad but if we both go then they won't have either of us." I said then sniffled and looked away.