53

"So, did you want to come over while Sam is away?" I asked Kat as I started to clean up the kitchen while the lasagna cooked.

"I'm actually going with them." Kat said as my jaw dropped. "They're letting you come?!" I asked as she laughed. "Yeah, I don't get thrown into walls and stuff." She said as I sighed.

"True. I'm not bitter. It's fine." I said and squinted at her. "I didn't do it. Bring it up to dumb and dumber." She said as I nodded. "I will. Or I'll poison their lasagna." I said as she chuckled.

"That's dark, V. Even for you." Kat said as I nodded. "Yeah, plus that puts Nova and Luna at risk of being poisoned and I don't want that." I said then turned and grabbed my water.

"You'd poison me?" She asked as I shook my head. "No, absolutely not. You would know to spit it out though. Nova and Luna would shovel that shit in their mouths without thinking about it." I said with a laugh.

"They're growing girls." Kat said as I nodded. "Growing girls that put glue in each others hair." I said as she gasped. "They did that?!" She asked as I nodded.

"Yeah before you came. Nova wanted to give Luna earrings so she thought glue would do that but nope it got all in her hair. She's lucky I didn't have to cut her hair." I said with a sigh.

"That's good. Children are scary." Kat said causing me to laugh. "Yeah, but they're sweethearts." I said and looked up at her.

"Do you know if you want kids?" I asked as she nodded. "Yeah, we want to wait another year or two. Our careers are on the rise and we just don't want to settle down yet." She said as I nodded.

"That's fair. Kids are truly a handful but they're amazing. You'll be a great mom when you decide to do that." I said as she grinned. "How's your pregnancy journey going?" Kat asked as I sighed.

"Getting all those negatives has been hard but I know when a positive test comes I'll be elated." I said with a small smile. "I can't wait until you get pregnant. You deserve it." She said as I frowned.

"Love you, Kat." I said and went to hug her. "Love you, too." She said and hugged me tightly.

When dinner was done we got Sam, Colby, Nova, and Luna so we could all eat together. We ate dinner then sat around and talked for a while before it was time to Sam and Kat to go home and for Nova and Luna to go to bed.

Once the girls were tucked in and in bed I went downstairs so I could make the girls lunches for tomorrow.

"Want some help?" Colby asked as I cut some veggies. "If you want to." I said with a smile. "Yeah, I don't want you to cut yourself again." He said and took the knife from me.

"It was an accident." I said and looked up at him. "An accident that you never do." He said and looked at me with concern.

"I just got nervous and I was flustered." I said the grabbed the bread so I could make some peanut butter and jellies.

"Why were you nervous?" Colby asked as I sighed. "It's just scary thinking about the heartbreak of the miscarriage. I don't want to go through that again." I said quietly.

"I know it's scary, V. Trust me, I know. We can't have that in our heads though. This is a new pregnancy and it's totally different. We gotta stay positive." Colby said as I nodded.

"I know, I'm trying. It's just constantly in the back of my head." I said and focused on the sandwich in front of me.

"I understand. It's the first day, V. Give yourself some time to be happy." He said and nudged my shoulder so I would look up at him.

"You deserve to be happy." He whispered then leaned over and kissed my head. "You do, too." I said with a small smile.

"I love you." He said as I nodded. "I love you more." I said then focused on the sandwiches.