36

I felt my heart sink as my eyes widened. "Shit." I whispered then grabbed the biggest knife we had and stuck it in my waistband. I then quickly made my way to the living room.

"Girls, I need you to come with me." I whispered then lifted Nova off of the couch and perched her on my hip.

"The movie isn't over, mommy." Nova said as I shook my head. "We'll finish it later." I whispered then pulled Luna off of the couch and perched her on my other hip.

I was careful to position them away from the knife in my waistband so I wouldn't accidentally hurt them or myself.

"What's happening?" Luna asked as I shook my head and quickly but carefully made my way towards the stairs.

We had to walk right passed the front door which was the scariest thing in the world. Whoever was on the other side of the door was still trying to get in.

"Mommy, who is that?" Nova whimpered as I shook my head. "Shhhh..." I hushed then ran up the stairs.

I felt my back aching so bad that I thought it would snap in half but I didn't care about the pain right now.

I needed to bring the girls to safety.

When we got upstairs I quickly made my way to the office since it was the furthest room from the front door. "Okay, you have to stay super quiet. You can't make any noise." I said as I set the twins down.

"Mommy, I'm scared." Luna said as my heart broke. "I know, I'm not gonna let anything happen to you. Okay?" I asked and took their hands so I could hide them under the desk.

"Mommy will protect you, you have to be silent though." I whispered as they crawled under the desk. My heart broke at how they were looking at me since they looked so scared.

I nodded reassuringly at them then pulled my phone out and dialed 911.

"911, what's your emergency?" The dispatcher asked as I tried to pull the bookcase to cover the door.

"Someone is breaking into my home." I whispered, hissing in pain as my back erupted in pain. "Okay, what's your address? And your name?" The dispatcher asked as I pulled the bookcase fully in front of the door.

"11987 Linnet St.. My name is Violet Brock." I cried out in pain.

"Okay, Violet. I'm going to send someone out there to check it out. Are they inside?" She asked as I grabbed the knife from my waistband and walked towards the girls. "I don't know. My children and I are hiding." I said calmly.

I sat down in front of the twins and held the knife tightly in my hand.

I felt like my heart was going to explode with fear but I had to stay calm for Nova and Luna.

"Okay, just try to stay calm. Did you want me t-" The dispatcher said but was interrupted by my phone buzzing.

I pulled my phone away to see that Colby was calling. I quickly declined the call then put the phone back to my ear.

"Sorry, what did you say?" I whispered and scooted closer to the girls. They were hugging each other and crying, which broke my heart.

I was just proud of them for being so strong.

"Did you want me to stay on the phone with you until they get there?" The dispatcher asked as I nodded. "Yes, please hurry." I whispered and closed my eyes.

"They're almost there, ma'am. Just keep calm, you're doing so good." The dispatcher said as I nodded.

I prayed silently to myself before I heard a large crash downstairs. "Are they inside?" I whispered nervously.