66

I laid awake for a while, pretending to be asleep. I could tell Colby was awake but I didn't want to wake the girls up by talking to him.

After a while I finally drifted away, letting sleep take over.

I don't know how long I was asleep before I woke up to Luna screaming bloody murder. "Luna!" Colby cried out as I sat up.

"Luna, sweetheart wake up!" Colby yelled and shook her. Nova woke up crying, causing me to tighten my grip on her.

"She's not waking up." Colby said in a panic as he looked up me. "Luna, baby....wake up!" I said and reached over, caressing her cheek gently.

"Mommy, what's wrong with sissy!?" Nova cried out as I got out of bed.

"She's having a bad dream. Stay here." I whispered and sat her on the bed then ran over to Colby's side of the bed.

Luna was still screaming in his arms, her eyes closed tightly. "Come here.." I whispered and pulled her into my embrace.

I could feel the pain in my ribs but I didn't care at all.

I needed to help Luna.

"Shh..wake up sweetheart. You're okay. You're okay." I said and rocked her back and forth.

I looked at Colby to see him pulling Nova into his lap. I could see fear in his eyes as I bounced and rocked Luna.

"Wake up, baby. Wake up." I said and bounced her gently. After a few minutes she was eventually coming back.

"There you are...you're okay." I whispered as she sobbed, wrapping her arms tightly around me.

"I know, sweetheart." I said as Colby breathed a sigh of relief. "Mommy..." Luna whimpered as I scratched her back.

"Let's go for a little walk. I'll make you some cocoa." I said as Colby shook his head. "You're supposed to be on bedrest, V." He said as I nodded.

"I know, but I have to take care of her. Come with me, and bring Nova. We can have a little cocoa party." I said then turned and left the room with Luna in my arms.

Luna was trembling, hiding her face in my shoulder as she cried.

"Wanna talk about it, honey?" I asked and scratched her back as I walked down the hallway. "Scary man." Luna whimpered as I nodded.

"I know, love." I whispered and walked down the stairs. I heard Colby following behind me with Nova in his arms.

"Mommy, I'm scared." Luna said as I nodded. "I know, honey. You're safe now." I said and carried her to the kitchen.

"The bad man is gone and he's never going to hurt you. He won't get passed daddy and I." I said and scratched her back, holding her close.

"How about some cocoa? Would that be good?" I asked and pulled away from her slightly so I could look at her.

I could still see the fear bubbling behind her blue eyes which broke my heart. "I know, sweetheart." I whispered and pushed her curls back.

"Lulu?" Nova asked quietly as Colby came over with her. "Are you okay?" She asked as Luna frowned. "I'm scared." She said as Colby reached over and brushed the tears off her cheek.

"I'll protect you, sissy." Nova said as Colby smiled. "You're a good sister, Nova." He said then kissed her head.

"I love Lulu." She said and rested her head on Colby's head.

"I do, too. Let's make some cocoa." I said then went to the cabinet and grabbed a box of cocoa mix. I held onto Luna tightly as I grabbed the milk and poured it into a pot.