DADDY

We sat in silence at some cafe

We sat in silence at some cafe. It had been a full twenty four hours since our family changed. Will was grieving outwardly while dad buried it. I was a bit of a combination. He was my grandfather but I really didn't know how to feel about the situation. I was barely listening to Will as he rattles off plans for a funeral. I was staring at my coffee in my own world. I haven't seen Belle since I was admitted to the hospital which was now two days ago, same as James, Ares and Jess. I had just been around my dad and Will. Dad suddenly jumps up startling me I watch as he stared at his phone before grabbing his coffee "where are you going. We have to plan" Will said "work fires just been declared as arson making it a Homeside" i sigh getting up "no Ley I won't you far away from this" "dad" I beg not wanting to be away from him but I don't follow as he walks away. I don't listen as Will talks to me just staring in the direction he walked off in. "Hey I'm going to go" I said "Bailey" he said trying to stop me but much like my dad I had made up my mind "uncle Will I don't care what type of funeral you decide I uh I can't talk about it because every time someone brings it up I think about how I almost died and I just need a moment" he smiles nodding "want me to drop you off somewhere then" I nod following him to his car.

I had a bag of food hanging off my left elbow. I walk into the fire station looking around "Bailey what are you doing here" chief Boden said him walking through the halls and noticed me. "Well I wanted to see Kelly and I brought food for everyone" he smiles "you didn't have to" "well I figured the best kind of thank you for saving my life is food plus dads at work and uncle Will is forever talking about grandpa I didn't think I could come empty handed" he nods leaving me in to the common room. "Bailey shouldn't you be resting" "probably but I got bored also brought you all food" I lift my elbow up showing them the bag. I grab my straps with my right hand going to lift it but feel nothing but pain. "Let me get it" Cruz said taking it I smile at him "thank you still getting use to one hand and absolutely no muscle" they smile. I walk over to Kelly as they open the bag up seeing what's inside. "I just wanted to say thank you" "you don't have to" "I know but you deserve it I really felt like I was going to die in there I had even told Jess how much I loved everyone...I was so so scared" I run my hand through my hair "I I know your all trained and you know not to show fear and all but that fire you would be crazy not to be scared. All of you know how to use that fear just like dad knows how to use his fear to run towards danger as well. I admire it. Thank you for finding me. I couldn't see you till we were outside when I finally got my eyesight back but I did hear everything" he gently wraps his arms around me walking me over to see what food I have brought. "So what's the verdict on your burns" Herman asks "third degree on this arm" I point to the bandage that went from my shoulder to my elbow. "My side is second degree" I sigh "my hand and wrist are fourth degree Connor said if he didn't know better he would think I held it over the fire" "must hurt" Capp asks "not really I can't feel it or anything it's gone through the nerves and that" they nod "I burnt it earlier when I got these ones and then when I was sitting something near me was hot I don't know maybe I kept my hand over it I was kinda out of it by then" they nod I sit down "so how's recovery looking" Otis asks "Um with time I think my hand might need rehab but I'm not to sure" he nods "I'm sure it will be a process" he hums. I sit with them just talking and laughing. They took my mind off everything else.

I was walking down the street enjoying the peace and quiet. I had long since left fire station. They had a call and I didn't feel like waiting so I said goodbye. I was walking in the city I planed to go shopping or something I'm not to sure. "Is that Bailey" I hear someone say but pay no mind to it just looking through the pamphlet I had picked up as I walk. "Bailey" Hailey jumps in front of me startling me causing me to stumble back. She's upset been crying. Adam grabs my good shoulder "what are you doing out here Frank" he looks around "Bailey you need to come with us" my eyes going between them nervously "hey it's ok I wouldn't lead you anywhere unsafe would I" I slowly shake my head answering Adams I question. My hand effortlessly slips into Adams as the two lead me through the streets. It wasn't until we got to a sea of red and blue lights that my heart stops. "Hey this is Bailey Halstead make sure she gets to Sargent Voight" Adam said showing that his badge to the patrol officer. "We can't go back in...she" I nod hugging Adam "I'm only a phone call away" he said as Hailey told the patrol officer where they found me and what not. I slowly walk behind the patrol officer my eyes darting around taking in every face. It wasn't until I saw Sylvie and Emily I somewhat relaxed. I rush over to Sylvie hugging her tightly. I had been through to many of these and it seems every time I'm like a little kid again "Bailey" she said confused "Ruzek and Upton found her said I had to take her to Sargent Voight" the officer said as Sylvie hugged me and Emily looked concerned. That's when I heard Hank yelling "that's my job I keep you safe not the other way round. You got a kid who need and relies on you I take the heat. When you get your head on straight we are going to have a conversation" he sounded like he was scolding someone. I go to move only to have Sylvie tighten her arms around me. "Breath just stay here" Sylvie said rubbing my back. She held me tight I listen burying my head into her chest. I knew it was probably my dad or Kevin, Kevin had his siblings who rely on him even if they are in Texas. Dad had me. Tears build up in my eyes at the thought of anyone being hurt. "Bails" I spin around Sylvie letting me go at the same time. I practically leaped into Hanks arms holding him tight. "What happened" he sighs rubbing my back "Ruzek and Upton found her not far away brought her here" Emily said smiling kindly. Hank sighs holding onto me as we walk through the crowd. I run seeing my dad sitting there sadly holding his side. I saw the blood there was blood. He groaned when my arms wrap around him. "I'm ok" "there blood dad" "I got him I got the guy who killed grandpa" I slowly nod not to sure what to think of it. I sit beside him while Sylvie and Emily do their thing, I notice Hank standing not to far away just watching. "You go with Hank kiddo" I sigh slowly nodding. I get up kissing his cheek. "Message me when your done ok" he nods something inside me told me he wouldn't but I don't know.

"What happened" I ask from the passenger seat of Hanks car. I had been through this many times through the years. Sitting in this very seat after he had picked me up from wherever I was. I was always so scared to be picked up early because it was when I found out bad news. It was always Al and him they didn't even have to say I just knew. They always dumbed it down to my level never giving me the details, but just enough so I know his hurt or his kidnapped. They always made sure to tell me how bad it was but in a positive way. I remember staying with either of them that night and they use to make it so fun for me, something to look forward to. I use to be so excited to see Lexi that it would distract me from the obvious. I know it's gotten harder and harder to explain things to me as I have gotten older and began to understand. I began to ask more questions some they couldn't answer because of the case and some because they thought it wasn't their place. My dad never wanted me to see him hurt so if it was really bad I didn't see him usually just went out them and they would tell me his not ok. Dad would give me a cuddle and a kiss before pushing me into Hank or Al's arms. At first I hated it would scream and cry begging to be with him scared he wouldn't come home. But over time I got use to the routine.

Hank looks at me contemplating my question. I sigh "was he meant to be there" "you should talk to your dad kid" "you know I'm really starting to hate everyone thinking I'm this little kid still I can handle it Grandpa Hank" "you are still a kid Bails" he reminded "dads messed up from Grandpa...I almost called you but then I got side tracked. I also figured you would notice and put him in his place he looks at you like a father figure" he rubs his jaw "Bails" "no dad won't tell me he shut off that bit of him along time ago it's worse now" I stare out the window "I took him off the case" I nod tears building up in my eyes as thoughts swirl around. I had one hand, barely had any strength how could he. Did I mean that little to him. "Was he breathing" "you really need to talk to your dad" "either answer the question or drop me off at Addys I won't tell dad how I found out I just need to know" I stare at the man with tears dripping down my face "I don't think so he was just winded though" "Hailey thought he was dead" I mumble making him look at me confused "when they found me it was like a block or two away Hailey looked upset like she had been crying" he nods pulling into his driveway.