~ 32 ~

The car ride was silent. I was looking outside the window most of the time. Sometimes when I wasn't looking outside the window, I would look at him with a sideways glance, trying my level best to not turn my face in his direction. 'He is the one inviting me over dinner, he should start the small talk and put all the awkwardness to rest' I snapped at my subconscious who looked at me shaking her head. 'Dear he invited you for dinner. He took a step forward. Least you could do is open your damn mouth and start a happy conversation' my subconscious snapped back putting on her sunglasses.

But I realised she was right.

"So what's with the change of heart??" I said looking at him. He gave me a confused sideways glance, his forehead giving birth to infinite curved frown lines.

"Change of heart??" he asked curiously.

"Yes. Why did you invite me over?? When you clearly don't want to do anything with me." I blurted my heart out.

"Cause I want to be your friend." he said shaking his head in amusement.

"Ohkay. This is not funny. What are you smiling about??" I said with anger laced voice.

"You'll know soon. We are almost there." he said coolly to which I crossed my arms around my chest and sat in my seat pouting like a little child who was denied candy.

____________________________

Derek unlocked the door and switched on the ceiling lights as he entered his house. I was still standing in front of the door contemplating whether to enter or not. When I didn't follow him inside, Derek turned to me and frowned.

"What are you waiting for?? Come on in." he said, authority dripping from his voice.

Well, I didn't rush to enter his house because I am not sure about his mood. What if he regrets bringing me over?? What if he thinks I am nothing but a burden and he has to bear with me until the clock strikes 11.

I fidgeted with my fingers and entered the place giving him a small smile. He locked the door behind me and the cluck of the knob made my heart skip a beat. All this time I hadn't realised that I was going to be alone with Derek. In his house. Away from campus. Away from everyone. I trust Derek but I had this weird feeling because I have never spent alone time with someone who wasn't a friend. Derek's not my friend. He is the hot college senior who I have feelings for and I have only interacted with him in campus and the mall.

Phew!!

As if he read my thoughts, Derek said to me pouring water in a glass, "You can trust me. I won't hurt you in any way. I just felt that I needed to clear things with you for both of our good. And it's not possible in campus. To talk. So."

I looked at him and nodded.

"Even if I did something, your stalker of a friend will cut me into pieces and eat me raw." He chuckled that lasted for three seconds. I forgot he doesn't laugh much.

He was right, I thought. It was about time we needed to talk and clear our heads. In a way, I was glad that he stepped up and took matters in his hands.

"This place is nice. Clean, much to my surprise." I said glancing at the living room that was really very clean.

I have lived with Daniel and he would turn the house in a garbage dump if I wasn't there to clean up. No wonder how the house looks now. I hope Aairah is like me and cleans it when required.

Thinking of Daniel, I made a mental note to call him. It has been a few days since we last talked.

"I am a clean guy. I don't like dirt." he smiled offering me a glass of water which I took smiling back at him.